1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analyzing Force vs. Time graphs

1. Oct 30, 2007 #1
    1. I REALLY need help here! I've been doing pretty good in physics so far this year, but a new quiz devastated me. Here's the problem:
    I was given a Force vs. Time graph and a lot of the questions pertained to the mass of the object. How do I find the mass only given a F vs T graph?

2. Relevant equations
    Is there any other data I can obtain from a Force/Time graph? (like acceleration, velocity, or something to do w/ friction)?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A force time graph is all about impulse, and impulse is the change in momentum of an object.
  4. Oct 30, 2007 #3
    Impulse is given by the area under an F-t graph.

As Kurdt said, impulse is the change in momentum of an object. ie. p2 - p1 or m(v2 - v1) [for constant mass].
  5. Oct 31, 2007 #4
    If you're solely given the Force of an object over Time... I don't see how you could find the mass of the object unless you were somehow able to calculate the acceleration.

If the object was traveling around a circular path, and you were given the velocity or able to calculate the velocity and the radius of the circle, then you could substitute (v^2)/r as the acceleration...

But I believe, as in introductory physics, the equation F=ma has to come into play here.
    (or F=(mv^2)/r)

NOW, you might have been told that this was a free-falling object, or a nuance similar. In which case, that gives you the acceleration (9.8 m/s^2)- so it may be tricky.
  6. Oct 31, 2007 #5
    If it is analysing a collision, which F-t graphs are so often used for, and you know the initial and final velocities, then the mass can be found from the relationship in my last post.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?