And Another Question About Partial Derivatives

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a derivative of a function and shows that if the derivative is constant, the function itself must also be constant. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of understanding this concept and the use of graphs to visualize the relationship. There is also a mention of another question about partial derivatives.
Maor Hadad

Homework Statement

[tex]
\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\dot{q}}{\sqrt{1+\left(\dot{q}\right)^{2}}}\right)=0\Rightarrow\frac{\dot{q}}{\sqrt{1+\left(\dot{q}\right)^{2}}}=const\Rightarrow\dot{q}=A\Rightarrow q=At+B
[/tex]

Homework Equations

Why it ok to say that:
[tex]
\frac{\dot{q}}{\sqrt{1+\left(\dot{q}\right)^{2}}}=const\Rightarrow\dot{q}=A
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
\left(\frac{\dot{q}}{const}\right)^{2}-\dot{q}-1=0\Rightarrow?
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Maor Hadad said:

Homework Statement

[tex]
\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\dot{q}}{\sqrt{1+\left(\dot{q}\right)^{2}}}\right)=0\Rightarrow\frac{\dot{q}}{\sqrt{1+\left(\dot{q}\right)^{2}}}=const\Rightarrow\dot{q}=A\Rightarrow q=At+B
[/tex]

Homework Equations

Why it ok to say that:
[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]
How did you get the last equation?

Anyway, if you solve ##\frac{\dot{q}}{\sqrt{1+\left(\dot{q}\right)^{2}}}=C## for ##\dot{q}##, what do you get as result?

If you mean
[tex]
[/tex]
It's by dividing two sides by const and multiplying by
[tex]
\sqrt{1+\left(\dot{q}\right)^{2}}
[/tex]
and than squaring both sides.
If I'll continue I'll need to solve quadratic equation which it's results will depend on the value on C.
It can be either one, two or non complex or real numbers..

Maor Hadad said:
If you mean
[tex]
[/tex]
It's by dividing two sides by const and multiplying by
[tex]
\sqrt{1+\left(\dot{q}\right)^{2}}
[/tex]
and than squaring both sides.
I don't see how this operation gives you the term ##\dot q##.
Maor Hadad said:
If I'll continue I'll need to solve quadratic equation which it's results will depend on the value on C.
It can be either one, two or non complex or real numbers..
Maybe. Why would that be a problem? You need to prove that ##\dot q## is a constant, ie doesn't depend on ##t##.

Likes Maor Hadad
Samy_A said:
solve ##\frac{\dot{q}}{\sqrt{1+\left(\dot{q}\right)^{2}}}=C## for ##\dot{q}##, what do you get as result?

Do that again and do it right! :oldsmile:

Likes Maor Hadad
Yes, you're right. It dosen't! my professor accidently wrote it as:
[tex]
\frac{\dot{q}}{\sqrt{1+\left(\dot{q}\right)}}
[/tex]

and that's how I tried to solve it...

thank you!

Maor Hadad said:

Homework Statement

[tex]
[/tex]

Homework Equations

Why it ok to say that:
[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]

[/tex]

This just says that if ##\dot{q}/\sqrt{\dot{q}^2+1}## is constant, the quantity ##\dot{q}## must also be a constant. That is obvious, but if you still cannot see it, imagine plotting a graph of ##y = \dot{q}/\sqrt{\dot{q}^2+1}## in a ##(\dot{q},y)## plot. You can see that if ##\dot{q}/\sqrt{\dot{q}^2+1}## is changed, ##\dot{q}## must be changed as well.

Hi,
I understand now what my problem was.
I can also 'see' why it's true through the algebra, but I think the fact the independent variable is a derivatie of time, makes it a bit un-intuitiable for me.
I tried plotting it but it came as something ##\delta## like, so it didn't helped so much :sorry:.
but thank you for the help :)

and if don't mind I had another question about partial derivatives I'll really appreciate if you'll take a short glimpse at it :)

and even if you don't - thank you again!

Maor Hadad said:
Hi,
I understand now what my problem was.
I can also 'see' why it's true through the algebra, but I think the fact the independent variable is a derivatie of time, makes it a bit un-intuitiable for me.
I tried plotting it but it came as something ##\delta## like, so it didn't helped so much :sorry:.
but thank you for the help :)

and if don't mind I had another question about partial derivatives I'll really appreciate if you'll take a short glimpse at it :)

and even if you don't - thank you again!

Which message are you responding to? You need to use the "Quote" button, in order to keep straight what messages are being addressed.

Hi, It's: A Question About Partial Derivatives,
thanks a lot!
Ray Vickson said:
Which message are you responding to? You need to use the "Quote" button, in order to keep straight what messages are being addressed.

1. What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are a type of derivative in multivariable calculus that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its independent variables while holding all other variables constant.

2. How are partial derivatives calculated?

To calculate a partial derivative, you take the derivative of a function with respect to one of its variables while treating all other variables as constants. This can be done using the same rules as regular derivatives, such as the power rule and chain rule.

3. What is the purpose of partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are used to analyze the changes in a function when only one of its variables changes, while holding all other variables constant. This can be useful in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

4. Can partial derivatives be taken with respect to more than one variable?

Yes, it is possible to take partial derivatives with respect to multiple variables. This is known as a partial derivative of higher order or a mixed partial derivative.

5. How are partial derivatives used in real-world applications?

Partial derivatives are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as optimizing functions in economics, analyzing changes in physical systems in physics, and determining the rate of change in a chemical reaction in chemistry. They are also used in machine learning and data analysis to find the gradient of a function and make predictions.