Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

And I never have either.

1. Aug 31, 2007 #1
    Just for the record, when I see a piece of paper on the floor in a public toilet, I don't pick it up.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2007 #2
    I don't even like it when the soles of my shoes touch a public bathroom floor.

4. Aug 31, 2007 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I don't know what the point of this is, but it's not politics. Moving to GD.

5. Aug 31, 2007 #4
    Ummm, that is PRECISELY why it is, err was, in politics :)

6. Aug 31, 2007 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/08/28/craig.arrest/index.html

7. Aug 31, 2007 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I recently read a transcription of the entire conversation between Craig and the officer during the arrest. It's a no brainer, once you read that. Looking for it now...

Here it is: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,295329,00.html

The final exchanges:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  8. Aug 31, 2007 #7

Astronuc

That's one conversation I don't want to read. :yuck:

9. Aug 31, 2007 #8
    Just ewwwwwwwwwww!

10. Aug 31, 2007 #9

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you don't want to read it, Olberman is playing a great dramatization...

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/08/29/olbermann-re-enacts-senator-craig-bathroom-scene/

I feel soooo bad for his wife. What was the crime again? Tapping his toe and waving his hand under the partition? I'll have to watch out for that one and report any suspicious behaviour to law enforcement. I'm never speaking, making eye contact or acknowledging anyone in an airport anymore...

11. Aug 31, 2007 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, why would you even bother refuting a harmless claim like that? :rolleyes:

But wait... in Craig's own words, he's a respectable person and he doesn't do things like tapping toes and waving hands under partitions.

My own opinion on the matter is that it's silly to arrest someone for soliciting consensual sex. It's Craig's hypocrisy that stinks the whole thing up.

12. Aug 31, 2007 #11
    The funny thing is, I thought if I put it in GD, it would get moved to political. Oh well, somedays you eat the bear, and somedays the bear eats you.

13. Aug 31, 2007 #12

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

He admitted to doing just that, in his own words.
    I always thought that one had to verbalize something to solicit sex. Secret signals like toe tapping and hand waving sound kind of innocous to me. What if he had actually spoken to him and asked something like, "What's your sign?" Or, "What is the average air speed of an unladen swallow?" (European or African?) Oh wait, it wasn't solicitation that he was charged with it was disorderly conduct. Perhaps reaching into someone else's stall is considered disorderly. I wouldn't disagree.

14. Aug 31, 2007 #13
    Then Airport security and the TSA will become suspicious and do a full body cavity search.:surprised

15. Aug 31, 2007 #14

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd tend to agree. That would be pretty obnoxious and unsettling. If he's arrested of a crime and pleads guilty, he pretty much has to go (but not always - voters often don't care all that much about sex scandals).

The only difference between the current times and the old days is in how those around him act. LBJ's Gay Sex Scandal. (The scandal centered around Johnson's key aide, not on Johnson, but it was in the middle of the 1964 Presidential campaign.)

16. Aug 31, 2007 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm guessing they mean a lot more to cops that may have seen these exact signals on numerous previous solicitations.

http://www.startribune.com/587/story/1386023.html
    That's five signals. Do you really have doubts that Craig was soliciting? Or are you just questioning whether there is sufficient evidence to to book him for solicitation? In any case - as you pointed out - he was booked for disorderly conduct (whatever the hell that means).

I guess if he was actually trotting around behind a dude making clicking sounds, he could have used an insanity defense.

17. Aug 31, 2007 #16

Evo

You failed to follow the guidelines which is to clearly state the issue in your post.

18. Aug 31, 2007 #17

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have no doubt what he was up to, after all he didn't flush. I'm just amazed that a policeman bothered to mirandize the perp for tapping his foot and waving his hand. Just what am I to do with my carry on bag when I'm in the crapper? Hold it over my head? The placement is obvious. The policeman could have just as easily said that he had seen mad bombers do the same thing and the 'evidence' would have been just as non-sequitur. Who doesn't put their bag against the door when they're on the can. Most of the doors won't lock anyway!

"You have the right to remain silent. Any stupid lies you tell me can be used against you in the press..."

Definitely disorderly conduct! He should keep his dirty hands in his own space! You don't know where thats been...

19. Aug 31, 2007 #18

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Apparently these signals are widely understood in the subculture of gay men who solicit anonymous sex in public bathrooms. Of course they seem silly and innocuous to people who are unfamiliar with them -- they are a disguise born of necessity.

Don't forget that the undercover cop was responding to reports of sexual activity in the bathroom -- it wasn't happenstance. Perhaps Craig's signals were not lost on the other people who used the bathroom.

Either way, he was only charged with a pretty silly misdemeanor. It's not like he's going to do hard time for tapping someone's foot in a bathroom. On the other hand, he probably will be laughed out of office. Considering the attitudes he promulgated while in office, it seems a fitting end to me.

- Warren

20. Aug 31, 2007 #19
    Although there's poetic justice that he got caught in a web that he advocated for, I don't think the toilet squad is a good idea. This whole sordid affair shows what happens when the letter of the law is enforced without resort to reason or mercy by robotic functionaries.

21. Aug 31, 2007 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The real problem is that he pled guilty. That pretty much does it - conduct unbecoming a Senator and convicted of a crime. And if he tries to reverse the plea, he is then guilty of perjury.

What got me was the bit about seeing his blue eyes peering through the crack in the door jam. Creepy....

He's already gone. CNN reports that he will announce his resignation soon.

Earlier, CNN was showing clips from an old scandal involving a dem who hired a male prostitute. Everyone on the Sen committee voted for a minor reprimand, except for Craig who was so morally outraged that he voted for a full censure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?