1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angle between a force and radius?

1. Dec 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A force, F=(6i-2j)[N], moves a particle through a distance deltaR=(3i+1j)[m]

A. Find the work done on the particle

B. Find the angle between F and deltaR

2. Relevant equations
    W=F*D

3. The attempt at a solution

A. F=Root(6^2+2^2)=6.32N

R=Root(3^2+1^2)=3.16m

W=FD=(6.32*3.16)=20.00N/M

I can't figure out B though. By the way, is my A correct? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2007 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

W=FD=(6.32*3.16)=20.00N/M It is true if they are in the same direction.
    W= F.deltaR = (6i-2j).(3i+1j) = 18 - 2 = 16J
    And angle is given by cos(theta) = F.d/FD

4. Dec 12, 2007 #3
    I'm kind of confused. Did you foil those out? I was taught to use pythag. theorum for component vectors. I'm also kind of confused on F.D/FD. What does this mean?

5. Dec 12, 2007 #4
    I think B can be found if you find the dot product of the two vectors...

6. Dec 12, 2007 #5

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

In vector you can perform scalar product and vector product. If Fand D are the force and dispalcement vectors then the work done = F.D and angle between the vectors =F.D/FD Bold letters indicatre the vectors.

7. Dec 12, 2007 #6
    Oh, so the dot product is called the scalar product around here...

8. Dec 12, 2007 #7
    Oh I think I see what you're saying. So the scalar, or dot product divided by FD is equal to the angle?

9. Dec 12, 2007 #8

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

10. Dec 12, 2007 #9
    I think I just confused myself. You said W=F.D, or F multiplied by D. Then, you say that the angle is F.D/FD. If F.D is F multiplied by D, then wouldn't F.D/FD be 1? Since top and bottom would be the same? Or is the top the dot product and and bottom FxD?

Also, the dot product is:

lAl*lBlcosx correct?

11. Dec 13, 2007 #10

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

F.D = 6i-2j).(3i+1j) = 18 - 2 = 16J It is dot product.
    FD = FD=(6.32*3.16)=20.00N/M
    And cosx = 18/20

12. Jul 22, 2009 #11
    radius

the diameter of the large and the small piston of a hydraulic lift

If the ratio of the diameter of the small piston to that of the large piston is 1:2, how does the forco on the small piston compare with that bon the large piston?

a hydraulic is to be constructed so that a force of 10 newton can lift a load of 6250 newton. if the small piston has a radious of 4 cm, what must be the radious of the large piston?

13. Jul 22, 2009 #12
    radius

can please somebody help me solve these fallowing problems????

the area of the small and large pistons of a hydraulic lift are 10cm and 500cm, respectively. What load can be lifted on the large piston if a force of 40 newton is applied in the small piston?

the diameter of the large and the small piston of a hydraulic lift are 6cm and 75cm, respectively. what force must be applied on the piston if a load of 4000 newton must be overcome by the large piston?

If the ratio of the diameter of the small piston to that of the large piston is 1:2, how does the forco on the small piston compare with that bon the large piston?

a hydraulic is to be constructed so that a force of 10 newton can lift a load of 6250 newton. if the small piston has a radious of 4 cm, what must be the radious of the large piston?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?