Angle between a force and radius?

In summary: What load can be lifted on the large piston if a force of 40 Newton is applied in the small piston?the diameter of the large and the small piston of a hydraulic lift are 6cm and 75cm, respectively. what force must be applied on the piston if a load of 4000 Newton must be overcome by the large piston?
TexasCow

Homework Statement

A force, F=(6i-2j)[N], moves a particle through a distance deltaR=(3i+1j)[m]

A. Find the work done on the particle

B. Find the angle between F and deltaR

Homework Equations

W=F*D

The Attempt at a Solution

A. F=Root(6^2+2^2)=6.32N

R=Root(3^2+1^2)=3.16m

W=FD=(6.32*3.16)=20.00N/M

I can't figure out B though. By the way, is my A correct? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
W=FD=(6.32*3.16)=20.00N/M It is true if they are in the same direction.
W= F.deltaR = (6i-2j).(3i+1j) = 18 - 2 = 16J
And angle is given by cos(theta) = F.d/FD

I'm kind of confused. Did you foil those out? I was taught to use pythag. theorum for component vectors. I'm also kind of confused on F.D/FD. What does this mean?

I think B can be found if you find the dot product of the two vectors...

In vector you can perform scalar product and vector product. If Fand D are the force and dispalcement vectors then the work done = F.D and angle between the vectors =F.D/FD Bold letters indicatre the vectors.

Oh, so the dot product is called the scalar product around here...

Oh I think I see what you're saying. So the scalar, or dot product divided by FD is equal to the angle?

Yes.

I think I just confused myself. You said W=F.D, or F multiplied by D. Then, you say that the angle is F.D/FD. If F.D is F multiplied by D, then wouldn't F.D/FD be 1? Since top and bottom would be the same? Or is the top the dot product and and bottom FxD?

Also, the dot product is:

lAl*lBlcosx correct?

F.D = 6i-2j).(3i+1j) = 18 - 2 = 16J It is dot product.
FD = FD=(6.32*3.16)=20.00N/M
And cosx = 18/20

radius

the diameter of the large and the small piston of a hydraulic lift

If the ratio of the diameter of the small piston to that of the large piston is 1:2, how does the forco on the small piston compare with that bon the large piston?

a hydraulic is to be constructed so that a force of 10 Newton can lift a load of 6250 Newton. if the small piston has a radious of 4 cm, what must be the radious of the large piston?

radius

can please somebody help me solve these fallowing problems?

the area of the small and large pistons of a hydraulic lift are 10cm and 500cm, respectively. What load can be lifted on the large piston if a force of 40 Newton is applied in the small piston?

the diameter of the large and the small piston of a hydraulic lift are 6cm and 75cm, respectively. what force must be applied on the piston if a load of 4000 Newton must be overcome by the large piston?

If the ratio of the diameter of the small piston to that of the large piston is 1:2, how does the forco on the small piston compare with that bon the large piston?

a hydraulic is to be constructed so that a force of 10 Newton can lift a load of 6250 Newton. if the small piston has a radious of 4 cm, what must be the radious of the large piston?

1. What is the meaning of the angle between a force and radius?

The angle between a force and radius is the angle formed between the direction of the force being applied and the line connecting the center of rotation to the point of application of the force. It is an important concept in understanding rotational motion and torque.

2. How is the angle between a force and radius measured?

The angle between a force and radius is measured in radians or degrees. To measure it in radians, the angle is taken as the ratio of the arc length of the circle to its radius. To measure it in degrees, the angle is taken as the ratio of the arc length of the circle to its circumference.

3. What is the relationship between the angle between a force and radius and the torque produced?

The angle between a force and radius is directly proportional to the torque produced. This means that the greater the angle, the greater the torque. This relationship is described by the equation: torque = force x radius x sin(angle).

4. Can the angle between a force and radius be negative?

Yes, the angle between a force and radius can be negative. This occurs when the force is acting in the opposite direction of the radius, resulting in a negative value for the angle. It is important to consider the direction of both the force and radius when calculating the angle.

5. How does the angle between a force and radius affect the stability of an object?

The angle between a force and radius plays a crucial role in determining the stability of an object. The greater the angle, the less stable the object will be. This is because a larger angle results in a greater torque, which can cause an object to rotate or topple over. To maintain stability, it is important for the angle between a force and radius to be as small as possible.