Angle between two straight lines

In summary, the problem asks to find the angle between two straight lines given by the equation ##(x^2+y^2)(\cos^2{\theta} \sin^2{\alpha} + \sin^2{\theta})=(x \tan{\theta} - y \sin{\alpha})^2##. After dividing by ##x^2## and substituting ##\frac{y}{x}=m##, the equation becomes ##(\sin^2{\theta} \cos^2{\alpha}) m^2 + (2 \tan{\theta} \sin{\alpha}) m + (\cos^2{\theta} \sin^2{\alpha} + \sin^2{\theta}-\tan
arpon

Homework Statement

Find the angle between the straight lines:
##(x^2+y^2)(\cos^2{\theta} \sin^2{\alpha} + \sin^2{\theta})=(x \tan{\theta} - y \sin{\alpha})^2##

Homework Equations

[Not applicable]

The Attempt at a Solution

Dividing by ##x^2##,
## (1+(\frac{y}{x})^2)(\cos^2{\theta} \sin^2{\alpha} + \sin^2{\theta})=(\tan{\theta} - \frac{y}{x} \sin{\alpha})^2 ##
Let, ##\frac{y}{x} =m ##.
## (1+m^2)(\cos^2{\theta} \sin^2{\alpha} + \sin^2{\theta})=(\tan{\theta} - m \sin{\alpha})^2 ##
##(\sin^2{\theta} \cos^2{\alpha}) m^2 + (2 \tan{\theta} \sin{\alpha}) m + (\cos^2{\theta} \sin^2{\alpha} + \sin^2{\theta}-\tan^2{\theta}) = 0 ##
So the solutions of this equation indicate the slopes of the two straight lines. If the solutions are ##m_1## and ##m_2##, then the angle between the two straight lines will be ##\arctan{\frac{m_1-m_2}{1+m_1 m_2}}##;
I came up with a messy equation, as I tried to calculate this. But the answer is very simple, just ##2\theta##. So, I think there is some clever technique to solve this problem.
Any suggestion will be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
arpon said:

Homework Statement

Find the angle between the straight lines:
##(x^2+y^2)(\cos^2{\theta} \sin^2{\alpha} + \sin^2{\theta})=(x \tan{\theta} - y \sin{\alpha})^2##

Homework Equations

[Not applicable]

The Attempt at a Solution

Dividing by ##x^2##,
## (1+(\frac{y}{x})^2)(\cos^2{\theta} \sin^2{\alpha} + \sin^2{\theta})=(\tan{\theta} - \frac{y}{x} \sin{\alpha})^2 ##
Let, ##\frac{y}{x} =m ##.
## (1+m^2)(\cos^2{\theta} \sin^2{\alpha} + \sin^2{\theta})=(\tan{\theta} - m \sin{\alpha})^2 ##
##(\sin^2{\theta} \cos^2{\alpha}) m^2 + (2 \tan{\theta} \sin{\alpha}) m + (\cos^2{\theta} \sin^2{\alpha} + \sin^2{\theta}-\tan^2{\theta}) = 0 ##
So the solutions of this equation indicate the slopes of the two straight lines. If the solutions are ##m_1## and ##m_2##, then the angle between the two straight lines will be ##\arctan{\frac{m_1-m_2}{1+m_1 m_2}}##;
I came up with a messy equation, as I tried to calculate this. But the answer is very simple, just ##2\theta##. So, I think there is some clever technique to solve this problem.
Any suggestion will be appreciated
Instead of dividing by x^2, I think you might be better off by replacing x^2 + y^2 by r^2, and replacing x and y by r*cos(θ) and r*sin(θ), respectively. This would get the equation completely into polar form, after which it might be easier to simplify.

Mark44 said:
Instead of dividing by x^2, I think you might be better off by replacing x^2 + y^2 by r^2, and replacing x and y by r*cos(θ) and r*sin(θ), respectively. This would get the equation completely into polar form, after which it might be easier to simplify.
Thanks for your reply. This also gives me same kind of equation.

arpon said:
Thanks for your reply. This also gives me same kind of equation.
Doing what I suggested, I get a somewhat simpler equation in polar form.

Is there more to this problem than you have posted? Is there an explanation of what ##\theta## and ##\alpha## represent?

Also, is the equation you wrote exactly the same as given in the problem?

Mark44 said:
Doing what I suggested, I get a somewhat simpler equation in polar form.

Is there more to this problem than you have posted? Is there an explanation of what ##\theta## and ##\alpha## represent?

Also, is the equation you wrote exactly the same as given in the problem?
No, there is no explanation about ##\theta## & ##\alpha##. And the equation I wrote is exactly the same as in the problem.

Can you post an image of the problem? Your solution and my solution both seem to come out very messy, and I'm wondering if there is something we're not seeing.

What is the angle between two straight lines?

The angle between two straight lines is the measure of the amount of rotation required to bring one line into alignment with the other. It is typically measured in degrees or radians.

How do you find the angle between two straight lines?

To find the angle between two straight lines, you can use the formula angle = arctan((m2 - m1) / (1 + m1m2)), where m1 and m2 are the slopes of the two lines.

Can the angle between two straight lines be negative?

Yes, the angle between two straight lines can be negative if the lines are in opposite directions. In this case, the angle would be measured in the clockwise direction and would have a negative value.

What is the difference between acute, obtuse, and right angles?

An acute angle is less than 90 degrees, an obtuse angle is greater than 90 degrees, and a right angle is exactly 90 degrees. The angle between two straight lines can be any of these depending on the slopes of the lines.

Can the angle between two straight lines be larger than 180 degrees?

No, the angle between two straight lines can never be larger than 180 degrees. This is because two lines in a plane can only intersect at one point, and the angle between them is limited to the space between the lines.