1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular acceleration

1. Jun 3, 2005 #1
    More questions!
    A rotating door is made from four rectangular glass panes, as shown in the drawing. The mass of each pane is 91 kg. A person pushes on the outer edge of one pane with a force of F = 58 N that is directed perpendicular to the pane. Determine the magnitude of the door's angular acceleration.

OK, so equations...

F sub T = mass * alpha sub T,
    and alpha sub T = radius * angular accel

So if I try to apply 58N as the tangential force and 364kg as the mass, and solve for alpha sub T, why can't I divide alpha sub T by the radius of the door and get the answer? :yuck:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2005 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

could you be more clear with your notation?

4. Jun 3, 2005 #3
    Sorry, I'll give LaTeX a try.
    [tex]F_T=m\alpha_T[/tex], and [tex]\alpha_T=ra[/tex], so why doesn't [tex]F_T=mra[/tex]?

If you were to do this, you'd get...

58N=364kg*1.2m*a, right? That's .133, but it's wrong :grumpy:

5. Jun 3, 2005 #4

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

[tex] a = r \alpha [/tex]

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} F_{i} = ma [/tex]

6. Jun 3, 2005 #5
    Something without integrals, please :) It's trig calc.

7. Jun 3, 2005 #6
    Sorry, trig physics.

8. Jun 3, 2005 #7

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

That's the sigma notation for summation, that's not an integral... :uhh:

9. Jun 3, 2005 #8
    Sorry, blonde moment. OK, so the only force being applied is the tangential force of 58N...right? So,

[tex]a=\frac{58N}{364kg}[/tex], or 0.159. Applying this value to a, and applying to the other equation, [tex]0.159=1.2m\alpha[/tex];[tex]\alpha=0.1325[/tex]...but that isn't the answer. What have I missed?

10. Jun 3, 2005 #9

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

I won't know what's wrong without the image. So far your original equations were wrong, now it seems you're using "correctly" the right ones.

11. Jun 3, 2005 #10
  12. Jun 3, 2005 #11
    bump, please :)

13. Jun 3, 2005 #12
    I would tackle this from a torque perspective. You have a force of 58N acting at a radius of 1.2M. Find the center of mass of the panes and find that point's moment of inertia and used Newton's 2nd Law for torques to find alpha..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?