Calculate Angular Acceleration of Rotating Door

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnitude of a rotating door's angular acceleration. The equations F_T=m*alpha_T and alpha_T=r*alpha are used, but the resulting value is incorrect. The conversation then suggests using torque and finding the center of mass and moment of inertia to calculate the correct alpha.
nutster
More questions!
A rotating door is made from four rectangular glass panes, as shown in the drawing. The mass of each pane is 91 kg. A person pushes on the outer edge of one pane with a force of F = 58 N that is directed perpendicular to the pane. Determine the magnitude of the door's angular acceleration.

OK, so equations...

F sub T = mass * alpha sub T,
and alpha sub T = radius * angular accel

So if I try to apply 58N as the tangential force and 364kg as the mass, and solve for alpha sub T, why can't I divide alpha sub T by the radius of the door and get the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
could you be more clear with your notation?

Sorry, I'll give LaTeX a try.
[tex]F_T=m\alpha_T[/tex], and [tex]\alpha_T=ra[/tex], so why doesn't [tex]F_T=mra[/tex]?

If you were to do this, you'd get...

58N=364kg*1.2m*a, right? That's .133, but it's wrong

[tex] a = r \alpha [/tex]

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} F_{i} = ma [/tex]

Something without integrals, please :) It's trig calc.

Sorry, trig physics.

That's the sigma notation for summation, that's not an integral... :rolleyes:

Sorry, blonde moment. OK, so the only force being applied is the tangential force of 58N...right? So,

[tex]a=\frac{58N}{364kg}[/tex], or 0.159. Applying this value to a, and applying to the other equation, [tex]0.159=1.2m\alpha[/tex];[tex]\alpha=0.1325[/tex]...but that isn't the answer. What have I missed?

I won't know what's wrong without the image. So far your original equations were wrong, now it seems you're using "correctly" the right ones.

bump, please :)

I would tackle this from a torque perspective. You have a force of 58N acting at a radius of 1.2M. Find the center of mass of the panes and find that point's moment of inertia and used Newton's 2nd Law for torques to find alpha..

Related to Calculate Angular Acceleration of Rotating Door

1. How do you calculate the angular acceleration of a rotating door?

To calculate the angular acceleration of a rotating door, you need to know the moment of inertia of the door, the torque acting on the door, and the mass of the door. The formula for angular acceleration is α = τ/I, where α is the angular acceleration, τ is the torque, and I is the moment of inertia. Once you have these values, simply plug them into the formula to calculate the angular acceleration.

2. What is the moment of inertia of a door?

The moment of inertia of a door is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It depends on the mass of the door and how that mass is distributed around the axis of rotation. The farther the mass is from the axis of rotation, the higher the moment of inertia will be. In general, a heavier and larger door will have a higher moment of inertia compared to a smaller and lighter door.

3. How do you determine the torque acting on a door?

The torque acting on a door is the product of the force applied on the door and the distance between the point of application of the force and the axis of rotation. To determine the torque, you need to know the magnitude and direction of the force, as well as the distance from the axis of rotation. The formula for torque is τ = F x d, where τ is the torque, F is the force, and d is the distance.

4. Can the angular acceleration of a rotating door be negative?

Yes, the angular acceleration of a rotating door can be negative. This indicates that the door is slowing down its rotation, either due to an opposing force or a decrease in torque. A negative angular acceleration does not necessarily mean that the door is moving in the opposite direction, as it depends on the initial velocity and other factors.

5. How does the mass of the door affect its angular acceleration?

The mass of the door does affect its angular acceleration. A larger mass will require more force or torque to rotate, resulting in a lower angular acceleration. On the other hand, a lighter door will have a higher angular acceleration for the same amount of force or torque. However, the moment of inertia also plays a role in determining the angular acceleration, so the mass is not the only factor to consider.