Angular-linear momentum conservation question

In summary, the conversation discusses a frictionless plane and a particle colliding with a stationary rod. The linear and angular velocity of the particle-rod system after the collision is described, with the center of mass continuing with the same velocity. The initial angular momentum of the system is not zero, as it is dependent on the particle's trajectory. However, aiming the particle to collide with the rod's center of mass on a normal trajectory would result in zero angular momentum about the combined center of mass. This does not affect the kinetic energy of the system after the collision, as it is an inelastic collision.
GluteusMedius
Consider a frictionless plane. A particle of known mass and velocity (say a lump of clay) strikes a uniform rod (for simplicity let the rod be stationary in the lab frame) and sticks to it somewhere other than at the rod's center of mass. I wish to describe the linear and angular velocity of the particle-rod system after the collision.

In the absence of an external force, the center of mass of the particle-rod system continues with the same velocity despite the collision.

I presume then that the particle-rod system will begin to rotate about its center of mass with angular momentum equal to r x p, with p being the initial momentum of the particle and r the moment arm from the cm to point of contact.

I'm almost certain this can't be right since angular momentum of the system about its cm ought to be conserved also--and in this case that initial angular momentum is zero. Further, it would seem that I've made the kinetic energy of the post collision system dependent on the point the particle strikes the rod.

I think I'm confused with something very fundamental here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi GluteusMedius! Welcome to PF! :wink:
GluteusMedius said:
Consider a frictionless plane. A particle of known mass and velocity (say a lump of clay) strikes a uniform rod (for simplicity let the rod be stationary in the lab frame) and sticks to it somewhere other than at the rod's center of mass.

… in this case that initial angular momentum is zero.

No, the initial angular momentum of the particle-rod system is not zero, because the particle has angular momentum about the (combined) centre of mass. :smile:

Thanks for the response.

I can see the initial angular momentum about the combined cm now but it bothers me that the angular momentum about the combined cm is still dependent on the particle's actual trajectory and not just on its momentum vector while the particle-rod system's linear momentum is only dependent on it. In other words, I think it's a bit contradictory to say that simply aiming the particle to collide with the rod cm on a trajectory normal to it makes the angular momentum about the combined cm go away.

Or more likely I'm not determining the angular momentum about the combined cm correctly?

GluteusMedius said:
… In other words, I think it's a bit contradictory to say that simply aiming the particle to collide with the rod cm on a trajectory normal to it makes the angular momentum about the combined cm go away.

Or more likely I'm not determining the angular momentum about the combined cm correctly?

What do you mean by "a trajectory normal to it"? :confused:

The line of the velocity must go through the centre of mass if there's to be zero angular momentum.

If it misses the (combined) centre of mass by a perpendicular (ie shortest) distance d, then the magnitude of the angular momentum is the ordinary momentum times d. :wink:

I think things just came into focus for me. It had bothered me that the kinetic energy after the collision was dependent on the point of contact between the rod and particle but I realized that since the collision was inelastic to begin with, this isn't a problem. Thanks for the response; I was missing something fundamental after all.

1. What is Angular-linear momentum conservation?

Angular-linear momentum conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant over time. This means that the combined momentum of both rotational and linear motion must remain constant unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is angular-linear momentum conserved?

Angular-linear momentum is conserved through the law of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system is constant in the absence of external torques. This means that if there are no external forces acting on a system, the total angular momentum of the system will remain constant.

3. What is the difference between angular and linear momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of rotational motion, while linear momentum is a measure of translational motion. Angular momentum is dependent on an object's mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation, while linear momentum is dependent on an object's mass and velocity in a straight line.

4. What is an example of angular-linear momentum conservation?

An example of angular-linear momentum conservation is seen in the spinning of a figure skater. As the skater pulls their arms closer to their body, they decrease their moment of inertia (rotational inertia) and increase their angular velocity, which results in a conservation of angular momentum. This causes the skater to spin faster.

5. How is angular-linear momentum conservation applied in real-life scenarios?

Angular-linear momentum conservation has many real-life applications, including the movement of satellites in orbit, the motion of planets around the sun, and the spinning of a gyroscope. It is also used in engineering applications, such as designing flywheels and stabilizing the motion of vehicles.