Angular Momentum and Expectation Values

In summary: L_{x},L^{2},L_{y} \pm h(bar). The three quantities can be different eigenstates of L_{z},L^{2}, but h(bar) must be an eigenstate of L_{x},L^{2},L_{y} \pm h(bar).
hc91
Can anyone explain to me why the only time that the expectation of L^2 operator and the expectation value of L_3^2 are equal only when there is no angular dependence? And what does this mean? Does this have something to do with being restricted to the z-axis which is what L_3 is associated with? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Angular momentum without angular dependence is just momentum right? So both are equal ... to zero. Just a quick perspective on my part, sorry if that is the wrong answer.

Because <L2> = <Lx2> + <Ly2> + <Lz2>, and <Lx2 + Ly2> is non zero.

Back in the early days of quantum mechanics, when people were stuck on the idea that subatomic particles should be thought of as little balls running around in definite orbits, they tried to come up with various mechanistic models to "explain" this fact. In the vector model of the atom, L is a vector of length √l(l+1) inclined at whatever angle is necessary to make its projection on the z-axis come out m, and L then precesses around the z-axis like a wobbling top.

Or since Lx, Ly and Lz do not commute, maybe it had something to do with the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. Or, when group theory came into prominence, it was because L2 was the Casimir operator of the three-dimensional rotation group.

Actually it's just because <L2> = <Lx2> + <Ly2> + <Lz2>, and <Lx2 + Ly2> is non zero! :smile:

Bill_K said:
Or since Lx, Ly and Lz do not commute, maybe it had something to do with the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. Or, when group theory came into prominence, it was because L2 was the Casimir operator of the three-dimensional rotation group.
:

I just had a thought. In order to have 100% of your angular momentum in the z direction the particle must have an exact position on the z axis. However it is free to be wherever on the X-Y plane and all the particle's momentum is also on the X-Y plane. Since P_x and P_y both commute with z this scenario seems logical.

I have a question of my own, regarding angular momentum. Suppose that L=3 (that is the quantum number). How can I show that <L[itex]_{x}[/itex]>+<L[itex]_{y}[/itex]>+<L[itex]_{z}[/itex]> [itex]\leq[/itex] 3[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]h(bar) ?The mean value is taken with an arbitrary [itex]\psi[/itex], not necessarily with an eigenstate of L[itex]_{z}[/itex],L[itex]^{2}[/itex], i.e. |l,m>...

Last edited:

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is a vector quantity that is defined as the cross product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to expectation values?

In quantum mechanics, expectation values are used to describe the average value of a physical quantity, such as angular momentum. The expectation value of angular momentum is calculated by taking the inner product of the state vector with the operator representing angular momentum.

3. What is the significance of angular momentum in quantum mechanics?

Angular momentum is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles. It is conserved in isolated systems and is used to describe the properties of electrons, atoms, and molecules.

4. How is angular momentum measured in experiments?

Angular momentum can be measured using various techniques such as rotation experiments, spectroscopy, and diffraction experiments. These methods involve measuring the energy levels and transitions of particles, which can then be used to calculate their angular momentum.

5. Can angular momentum be changed or manipulated?

Yes, angular momentum can be manipulated through interactions with other particles or external forces. For example, when an object experiences a torque, its angular momentum can change. In quantum mechanics, angular momentum can also be changed through processes such as spin flipping and orbital angular momentum transfer.