Angular momentum conservation principle

In summary: No, the fan would not generate enough force to make the boat move. No, the fan would not generate enough force to make the boat move.
peeyush_ali
Dear Friends.., I have something to share ..rather know about the mechanism of the angular momentum conservation principle still better..
consider a spacecraft , far away in a gravity less outer space..the spacecraft contains a man and a wheel. intially the angular momentum of the entire system was "zero" ie., man+wheel+space craft.. but when the man gives an angular impulse to the wheel then this law is casted by the nature..ie., say if the wheel rotates in clockwise sense the spacecraft spins in anticlock wise sense and thus nullifying the effect caused by the internal mechanism...
still to explain this we can take a shade from Newton's 3rd law..that when the man had just given the angular impulse, his contact force with the surface of the spacecraft reduces and there by leads to a moment of force on the spacecraft which makes it spin. the wheel spins as a direct jerk is given by the man,,
...everything is okay if we prceed in this manner.. but..,
consider the same spacecraft in a gravity less space ..but this time there is a "tape recorder" instead of a man and a wheel. Initially the the entire system was at rest angular velocity of either<space craft and tape recorder> is "zero" .now a person from the Earth gives a signal to turn on the tape recorder by using a remote control. now as the wheels inside the taperecorder rotate, to nullify the effect the spacecraft also rotates <since the initial angular momentum is zero and should remain zero forever unless there is a non zero external torque> ...,.. but how can the spacecraft turn mysteriously with no internal forces or internal torques being acted..??
Or, am I going wrong somewhere in choosing the things as system...??

Physics news on Phys.org
peeyush_ali said:
now as the wheels inside the taperecorder rotate, to nullify the effect the spacecraft also rotates <since the initial angular momentum is zero and should remain zero forever unless there is a non zero external torque> ...,.. but how can the spacecraft turn mysteriously with no internal forces or internal torques being acted..??
What makes you think there are no internal forces? What turns the tape wheel?

peeyush_ali said:
now a person from the Earth gives a signal to turn on the tape recorder by using a remote control. now as the wheels inside the taperecorder rotate, to nullify the effect the spacecraft also rotates

If the tape recorder is rigidly attached to the spacecraft then you can anticipate that the spacecraft will rotate in the opposite direction, if the tape recorder is floating freely and not in direct contact with the spacecraft hull, then the spacecraft will remain at rest and the tape recorder housing will rotate in the opposite direction of the tape recorder wheels and you won't even need to consider the spacecraft at all.

so you mean to say that there will be some "jerks" given by the tape recorder when it is turned on which make the spacecraft rotate..< ya, tape recorder is fixed to the space craft>.. I'm convinced,, thanks.

The Newton third law of motion states the action and reaction forces occur in two different system that is non attached, isn't it?

coverme said:
The Newton third law of motion states the action and reaction forces occur in two different system that is non attached, isn't it?

Consider when you stand on the floor. You are pushing down on the floor because of your weight, but the floor is pushing back up at you with equal and opposite force. Not unattached at all.

Cantab Morgan said:
Consider when you stand on the floor. You are pushing down on the floor because of your weight, but the floor is pushing back up at you with equal and opposite force. Not unattached at all.

Thanks for reply.But I didnot clearly mention what i wanted to say.i want to give an example for my sayings
In the boat that runs with the wind power flowing through the ocean,can we set the boat in the motion by use of huge electric fan inside the boat?That is what I had refered

Last edited:

1. What is the principle of angular momentum conservation?

The principle of angular momentum conservation states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external torque.

2. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of a system, and is defined as the product of the moment of inertia and the angular velocity.

3. How does angular momentum conservation apply to everyday life?

Angular momentum conservation is seen in many everyday activities, such as spinning a top or riding a bicycle. It is also important in understanding the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets orbiting around the sun.

4. What is the role of torque in angular momentum conservation?

Torque is the force that causes an object to rotate, and it plays a crucial role in angular momentum conservation. When there is no external torque acting on a system, the total angular momentum remains constant.

5. How is angular momentum conservation related to the law of conservation of energy?

Angular momentum conservation is closely related to the law of conservation of energy. In a closed system, the total energy, including both kinetic and potential energy, is conserved, and changes in angular momentum can be attributed to changes in the system's energy.