Why Is My Calculation of Angular Momentum Incorrect?

In summary, angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion and is calculated using the formula L = Iω. The conservation of angular momentum states that it remains constant in the absence of external torque. Changing the moment of inertia will affect angular momentum, with an increase resulting in a decrease and vice versa. An example of an angular momentum problem could be calculating the angular momentum of a spinning top with a given mass and angular velocity using the formula L = Iω.
vorcil
i seem to have got it wrong,

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2373/masteringphysics.jpg

my solving:

L=IW
I=mr^2

L=mr^2w

L=2.7kg* (0.03^2) * w

w= 2*pi * 600rpm /60 =62.83 rad/s

L=2.7*0.0009*62.83 =0.15

and i got it wrong? i was pretty sure it was right,

help please

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi vorcil,

The moment of inertia of the disk is ½Mr².

What's the moment of inertia of a thin disk/cylinder about what is in your case the x-axis?

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated using the formula L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torque.

4. How does changing the moment of inertia affect angular momentum?

Changing the moment of inertia will affect the angular momentum of an object. An increase in moment of inertia will result in a decrease in angular momentum and vice versa.

5. Can you provide an example of an angular momentum problem?

Sure, an example of an angular momentum problem would be calculating the angular momentum of a spinning top with a given mass and angular velocity. You would use the formula L = Iω to find the answer.