Angular Speed of Pulley (Spring, Pulley, Ramp)

In summary: Initially ΔEint= 0 because the spring is not compressed and the block is attached to the reel. When the reel is wound counterclockwise the block begins to rise, it gains potential energy due to gravity and the pulley experiences kinetic energy as it rises. I'm not quite sure where to go from here. I'm a bit confused that the pulley is what were are seeking the speed of. Generally it's been about the speed of the block so far in the course.Well, the problem is intentionally set up so as to confuse you. Instead of one potential energy, it has two. Instead of one kinetic energy, it has two. Instead of purely linear motion, it has linear and rotational, which are kinem
Ticklez_Panda

Homework Statement

dImZv4J.png
---Find Angular Speed---

Homework Equations

I = 1/2 mR^2
Ug = mgdsinθ
Us = 1/2 kd^2
KE = 1/2 I w^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Moment of inertia of reel = 1/2mR2
Kinetic energy of the reel = 1/2 mv2 = 1/2(1/2mR2) w2
KE = mgdsinθ (potential due to gravity) + 1/2kd2 (spring potential)
w = sqrt(4(mgdsinθ + 1/2kd2) / mR2)
This answer is incorrect, I'm wondering where I went wrong. Please help if you are able to. Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are forgetting that the block will also have non-zero KE.

Ticklez_Panda said:
Moment of inertia of reel = 1/2mR2
Kinetic energy of the reel = 1/2 mv2 = 1/2(1/2mR2) w2
KE = mgdsinθ (potential due to gravity) + 1/2kd2 (spring potential)
w = sqrt(4(mgdsinθ + 1/2kd2) / mR2)
This answer is incorrect, I'm wondering where I went wrong. Please help if you are able to. Cheers!

You have not considered the kinetic energy of the block.

There are two types of kinetic energies to be taken into account.

1) Rotational kinetic energy of the reel given by (1/2)Iω2
2) Translational kinetic energy of the block given by (1/2)mv2

Tanya Sharma said:
You have not considered the kinetic energy of the block.

There are two types of kinetic energies to be taken into account.

1) Rotational kinetic energy of the reel given by (1/2)Iω2
2) Translational kinetic energy of the block given by (1/2)mv2

Kinetic energy of the block must be equal to the spring energy? I assume this since the block will fall with potential due to gravity, during this fall it will gain kinetic energy and it is the accumulated energy that will transfer into the spring. Which means that 1/2mv^2 = 1/2kd^2.

So it would follow that w = sqrt(4(mgdsinθ + 1/2kd2 - 1/2mv^2) / mR2)

Ticklez_Panda said:
Kinetic energy of the block must be equal to the spring energy? I assume this since the block will fall with potential due to gravity, during this fall it will gain kinetic energy and it is the accumulated energy that will transfer into the spring. Which means that 1/2mv^2 = 1/2kd^2.

So it would follow that w = sqrt(4(mgdsinθ + 1/2kd2 - 1/2mv^2) / mR2)

This is incorrect understanding...

Start afresh...

Initially,when the block is 'd' distance up the incline what is the total mechanical energy of the system ?

Tanya Sharma said:
This is incorrect understanding...

Start afresh...

Initially,when the block is 'd' distance up the incline what is the total mechanical energy of the system ?

Initially ΔEint= 0 because the spring is not compressed and the block is attached to the reel. When the reel is wound counterclockwise the block begins to rise, it gains potential energy due to gravity and the pulley experiences kinetic energy as it rises. I'm not quite sure where to go from here. I'm a bit confused that the pulley is what were are seeking the speed of. Generally it's been about the speed of the block so far in the course.

Well, the problem is intentionally set up so as to confuse you. Instead of one potential energy, it has two. Instead of one kinetic energy, it has two. Instead of purely linear motion, it has linear and rotational, which are kinematically related.

Yet you can solve it exactly as the other you did. Find the full potential energy. The full kinetic energy. Their sum is constant.

I will let voko guide the OP.

1. What is the angular speed of a pulley?

The angular speed of a pulley refers to the rate at which the pulley rotates, measured in radians per second. It is influenced by factors such as the tension of the spring, the mass of the pulley, and the angle of the ramp.

2. How is the angular speed of a pulley related to its linear speed?

The angular speed of a pulley is directly proportional to its linear speed. This means that as the angular speed increases, so does the linear speed. This relationship is described by the formula: v = rω, where v is the linear speed, r is the radius of the pulley, and ω is the angular speed.

3. How does the angular speed of a pulley affect the motion of an object on a ramp?

The angular speed of a pulley affects the acceleration of an object on a ramp. As the pulley rotates faster, the acceleration of the object on the ramp increases. This is because the angular speed of the pulley is directly proportional to the linear speed of the object on the ramp, which in turn affects its acceleration.

4. Can the angular speed of a pulley be changed?

Yes, the angular speed of a pulley can be changed by altering the factors that influence it, such as changing the tension of the spring or the mass of the pulley. The angle of the ramp can also affect the angular speed of the pulley.

5. How is the angular speed of a pulley calculated?

The angular speed of a pulley can be calculated using the formula ω = 2π/T, where T is the period of rotation in seconds. This formula can also be rewritten as ω = 2πf, where f is the frequency of rotation in hertz. Alternatively, the angular speed can be measured using a tachometer or other angular speed measuring devices.