1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Velocity again

1. Nov 30, 2005 #1
    a cockroach of mass m lies on the rim of a uniform disk of mass 10m that can rotate freely about its center like a merry go round. Initially the cockroach and disk rotate together with an angular velocity of [tex] \omega_0[/tex]. Then the cockroach walks halfway to the center of the disk.

What is the change in \Delta \omega[/tex] in the angular velocity of the system?

I have no clue where to start...and no there are no numbers given.

Can some one help me/give me a hint?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2005 #2
    You know that angular velocity = linear velocity v/r, the radius of the disk....
    The cockroach's initial angular velocity would have been some value like v/10 (Because the radius is 10m)
    I'm going to guess its angular velocity was the same when it was halfway through, in which case its angular velocity would be v/5...
    The difference would be v/5 - v/10 = 2v/10 - v/10 = v/10
    So the angular velocity would have gotten two times faster. (Assuming what I'm doing is right... which I'm unsure of)
  4. Nov 30, 2005 #3
    but the radius is not 10...
    mass of cockroach = m
    mass of disk = 10m (10 times as much as cockroach)
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  5. Nov 30, 2005 #4

Homework Helper

When no numbers are given, assign variables and see if they cancel. You should apply the conservation of angular momentum principle

[tex]I_1\omega_1 = I_2\omega_2[/tex]

The intertial moment is due to the disk and cockaroach. The disk's moment remains the same in 1 and 2. The moment of inertia of a point mass is [tex]I = mr^2[/tex].
  6. Nov 30, 2005 #5
    so...how can I calculate everything if I dont have a radius?
  7. Nov 30, 2005 #6

Homework Helper

As I've said, assign variables. Let the radius be anything R. Now continue to solve.
  8. Jul 27, 2007 #7
    check the attached file

<< file with complete solution deleted by berkeman >>
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2007
  9. Jul 30, 2007 #8

Staff: Mentor

Thank you for trying to help, yellow_river. But we do not provide complete solutions to Homework Help questions here on the PF. Please be tutorial in your help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?