How Does a Cockroach Affect Angular Velocity When Moving on a Disk?

In summary: Thanks!In summary, a cockroach of mass m lies on the rim of a uniform disk of mass 10m that can rotate freely about its center like a merry go round. Initially, the cockroach and disk rotate together with an angular velocity of \omega_0. Then, the cockroach walks halfway to the center of the disk, resulting in a change of angular velocity of v/10. This is due to the conservation of angular momentum, where I_1\omega_1 = I_2\omega_2. Assigning variables for the radius and using the moment of inertia formula, we can solve for the change in angular velocity.
suspenc3
a cockroach of mass m lies on the rim of a uniform disk of mass 10m that can rotate freely about its center like a merry go round. Initially the cockroach and disk rotate together with an angular velocity of [tex] \omega_0[/tex]. Then the cockroach walks halfway to the center of the disk.

What is the change in \Delta \omega[/tex] in the angular velocity of the system?

I have no clue where to start...and no there are no numbers given.

Can some one help me/give me a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that angular velocity = linear velocity v/r, the radius of the disk...
The cockroach's initial angular velocity would have been some value like v/10 (Because the radius is 10m)
I'm going to guess its angular velocity was the same when it was halfway through, in which case its angular velocity would be v/5...
The difference would be v/5 - v/10 = 2v/10 - v/10 = v/10
So the angular velocity would have gotten two times faster. (Assuming what I'm doing is right... which I'm unsure of)

but the radius is not 10...
mass of cockroach = m
mass of disk = 10m (10 times as much as cockroach)

Last edited:
When no numbers are given, assign variables and see if they cancel. You should apply the conservation of angular momentum principle

[tex]I_1\omega_1 = I_2\omega_2[/tex]

The intertial moment is due to the disk and cockaroach. The disk's moment remains the same in 1 and 2. The moment of inertia of a point mass is [tex]I = mr^2[/tex].

so...how can I calculate everything if I don't have a radius?

As I've said, assign variables. Let the radius be anything R. Now continue to solve.

check the attached file

<< file with complete solution deleted by berkeman >>

Last edited by a moderator:
yellow_river said:
check the attached file

<< file with complete solution deleted by berkeman >>

Thank you for trying to help, yellow_river. But we do not provide complete solutions to Homework Help questions here on the PF. Please be tutorial in your help.

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed axis. It is usually represented by the symbol ω (omega) and is measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Linear velocity refers to the speed of an object moving in a straight line, while angular velocity refers to the speed of an object rotating around an axis. Linear velocity is measured in units such as meters per second, while angular velocity is measured in radians or degrees per second.

3. What factors affect angular velocity?

The angular velocity of an object is affected by its moment of inertia, the applied torque, and the angular acceleration. The moment of inertia depends on the shape and mass distribution of the object, while torque is the force that causes the object to rotate. Angular acceleration is the change in angular velocity over time.

4. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear velocity by the distance from the axis of rotation.

5. What are some real-life applications of angular velocity?

Angular velocity is used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. It is used in designing machines that involve rotational motion, such as engines, turbines, and gears. In astronomy, it is used to measure the rotation of planets and other celestial bodies.