Angular velocity and external forces

In summary, the angular velocity of a rotating ring will change if its mass changes, due to the conservation of angular momentum and energy. However, the exact change in angular velocity depends on whether the removal of mass also removes any angular momentum.
SpaceExplorer
Suppose I have a ring of mass 'M' rotating about an axis passing through its center with constant angular velocity 'w', now if its mass changes by dm due to some unknown reason during rotation, will the angular velocity change, assuming no external force acts on it during any point of time?

Physics news on Phys.org
my intuition tells me that it must change since KE must be conserved, and for it to be so, the angular velocity must change as the moment of inertia changes with the reduction in mass, but I ain't sure, so pls reply...

SpaceExplorer said:
my intuition tells me that it must change since KE must be conserved, and for it to be so, the angular velocity must change as the moment of inertia changes with the reduction in mass, but I ain't sure, so pls reply...

Yes it will change due to conservation of angular momentum as well. If the mass changes, then the inertia changes, so in order to conserve the angular momentum, the angular velocity will change.

Whatever process that changed the amount of mass would probably also affect the amount of momentum and energy. Momentum and energy are conserved in a closed system, but if mass is being changed, it's not a closed system.

rcgldr is right - you have to know if the mass removed also removed any angular momentum before you can answer the question.

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object is rotating around a fixed axis. It is usually denoted by the symbol ω (omega) and is measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of rotational motion, while linear velocity is a measure of straight-line motion. Angular velocity is typically measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

3. What are external forces in relation to angular velocity?

External forces are forces that act on an object from outside of the object's system. In relation to angular velocity, external forces can cause an object to change its rotational speed or direction.

4. How do external forces affect angular velocity?

External forces can affect angular velocity by either speeding up or slowing down the rotation of an object. They can also change the direction of rotation by applying torque to the object.

5. What are some examples of external forces that can affect angular velocity?

Examples of external forces that can affect angular velocity include friction, air resistance, and applied torque from a motor or other external source. These forces can either increase or decrease the angular velocity of an object.