Angular velocity and string tension

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a ball of mass 0.13 kg whirled around in a horizontal circle on the end of a string. The conversation leads to calculating the angular velocity, speed, and tension of the string. The formulas used are (a) Angular velocity = (2) x (Pi) x (Frequency of revolutions), (b) Speed of ball = (radius) x (angular velocity), and (c) Tension in string = (mass) x (initial speed)^2 divided by 2. The conversation also clarifies that the velocity in the tension formula is the linear velocity at which uniform circular motion is being executed. The final formula for tension is corrected to be \frac{m
druuuuuuuunnk

Homework Statement

A ball of mass 0.13 kg, is whirled round in a horizontal circle, on the end of a
string of length 0.60m, and completes 5 revolutions per second.
Calculate:

(a) the angular velocity of the ball;
(b) the speed of the ball;
(c) the tension of the string.

Homework Equations

(a) Angular velocity = (2) x (Pi) x (Frequency of revolutions)
(b) Speed of ball = (radius) x (angular velocity)
(c) tension in string = (mass) x (initial speed*2)
.......divided by 2

* = To the power of

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Angular velocity = 31.4 rad/s
(b) Speed of ball = 18.84 m/s
(c) Tension in string = ?

im confused about part (c) the question does not give an initial speed, so do i use the velocity i have got from part (b) is it not the same thing or would it be wrong to do that?

any help is appreciated...

Physics news on Phys.org
The velocity in your tension formula is the linear velocity at which uniform circular motion is being executed.

Last edited:
Pi-Bond said:
The velocity in your tension formula is the velocity at which uniform circular motion is being executed.

im new to this physics thing! i came from a art course last year so if you could say that in terms i would understand that would be awesome. Are you saying that I've got the wrong formula?

No, your formula is alright. The velocity you got in (b) is the linear velocity (you should remember this).

Pi-Bond said:
No, your formula is alright. The velocity you got in (b) is the linear velocity (you should remember this).

Im not going to lie, I am a lot more confussed now, than i was before. i think you over-estimated my physics knowledge haha

so how can part (b) be linear velocity? isn't linear velocity = distance /over/ time

and how do i find the tension of the string...

Yes, what you said about linear velocity is right. In case of the circle, the distance would be along the circumference of the circle. And in this type of motion, you can relate the angular velocity and linear velocity by the formula you used in (b).

The force required to keep an object in circular motion is given by

[itex]\frac{mv^{2}}{2}[/itex]

In this case the force is the tension force of the string.

ok man thank for the help

Pi-Bond said:
The force required to keep an object in circular motion is given by

[itex]\frac{mv^{2}}{2}[/itex]

In this case the force is the tension force of the string.

Make that:
[tex] \frac{m v^2}{r} [/tex]
(No doubt the 2 was a typo)

Right, that was a typo, I just copied from OP's post without thinking :/

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or spinning around a fixed point. It is usually measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It is represented by the symbol "ω" and the formula is ω = Δθ/Δt.

What factors affect angular velocity?

The factors that affect angular velocity include the angular acceleration, the moment of inertia of the object, and any external forces or torques acting on the object.

What is string tension?

String tension is the force exerted by a string or rope when it is stretched. It is typically measured in units of newtons (N) and is affected by the length, thickness, and material of the string.

How does string tension affect angular velocity?

The tension in a string can affect the angular velocity of an object attached to it. If the string is pulled tighter, the angular velocity will increase, and if the string is loosened, the angular velocity will decrease. This is because the tension in the string creates a torque on the object, causing it to rotate at a faster or slower speed.