How Do You Calculate Angular Velocity and Centripetal Force for a Swinging Ball?

In summary, a .250 kg ball is swung in a horizontal circle with a radius of 1.50 m at a constant speed. It takes 1.20 seconds for the ball to make one revolution. The tangential speed of the ball is 7.85 ft/sec and the centripetal force being imparted to the ball via the string is 10.28 kg. The string cannot be exactly horizontal as it plays a crucial role in providing the necessary centripetal force for the ball's circular motion.
Lyphta

Homework Statement

Imagine that you swing about your head a .250 kg ball attached to the end of a string. The ball moves at a constant speed in a horizontal circle with a radius of 1.50 m. If it takes 1.20 seconds for the ball the make one revolution, (a)what is the ball's tangential speed? (b)What centripetal force are you imparting to the ball via the string? (c)Can the string be exactly horizontal.

Homework Equations

ac=Rω
Fc=mac
v=Rπ

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) v=rω
= (1.5)(2π/1.2 sec)
= 7.85 ft/sec
(b) ac=Rω
= 1.5 [(1 rev/1.2 seconds)(2π/ 1 rev)]^2
= 41.12 ft/sec^2
Fc=mac
= (.25 kg)(41.12 ft/sec^2)
= 10.28 kg
(c) I have no clue at all what they want to solve... am I supposed to calculate the difference between a and b?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lyphta said:
(a) v=rω
= (1.5)(2π/1.2 sec)
= 7.85 ft/sec
Check your units
Lyphta said:
(b) ac=Rω
= 41.12 ft/sec^2
Fc=mac
= 10.28 kg
Units again...Unit of Force is the Newton(N)...units of acceleration ms^-2

For part (c) if the string is perfectly horizontal, what forces are acting on the ball and string?

Lyphta said:

Homework Equations

ac=Rω
I assume you mean:
[tex]a_c = \omega^2 r[/tex]
(a) v=rω
= (1.5)(2π/1.2 sec)
= 7.85 ft/sec
Good. (Except for your units: Where did the feet come in?)
(b) ac=Rω
= 41.12 ft/sec^2
Fc=mac
= 10.28 kg
OK, except: What are the units of force? (kg is a mass unit.) See note above regarding the formula.

(c) I have no clue at all what they want to solve... am I supposed to calculate the difference between a and b?
Study the forces acting on the rock. What role does the string play?

[I see that rock.freak667 beat me to it! ;-)]

1. What is angular velocity of a ball?

Angular velocity of a ball is the rate at which the ball is rotating around its axis. It is measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity refers to the rotation or spinning motion of an object, while linear velocity refers to the straight-line motion of an object.

3. What factors affect the angular velocity of a ball?

The angular velocity of a ball can be affected by the force applied to it, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the moment of inertia of the ball.

4. Can the angular velocity of a ball change?

Yes, the angular velocity of a ball can change if there is a change in the force or the axis of rotation.

5. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in the angle by the time taken for that change. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear velocity by the radius of the ball.