Angular velocity of rigid body

In summary, a thin stick of mass 4.9 kg and length 2.6 m is hinged at the top. A piece of clay with mass 1.0 kg and velocity 4.9 m/s collides with the stick at a distance of 2.20 m from the hinge and sticks to it. To find the angular velocity of the stick after the collision, momentum conservation is used. The question arises whether the velocity found is the velocity of the center of mass and how to find the angular velocity from here, considering the point of rotation is the hinge. The suggestion is to use angular momentum conservation instead.
zhenyazh
hi,
i am trying to solve this question.

A thin stick of mass M = 4.9 kg and length L = 2.6 m is hinged at the top. A piece of clay, mass m = 1.0 kg and velocity V = 4.9 m/s hits the stick a distance x = 2.20 m from the hinge and sticks to it. What is the angular velocity of the stick immediately after the collision?

in order to find the v i used momentum conservation.
now my question are:
is the v i found the v of center of mass?
how do i find the w from here, that is what is my r and why?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Guess you can answer this if you answered the one I asked?

zhenyazh said:
in order to find the v i used momentum conservation.
now my question are:
is the v i found the v of center of mass?
Hmm, I'm not sure to be honest. I would use angular momentum conservation instead.

Yes, but only about the point where the force acts,the hinge that is.

1. What is angular velocity of a rigid body?

The angular velocity of a rigid body is the rate of change of its angular displacement with respect to time. It is a measure of how fast the body is rotating.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rotational motion of a rigid body, while linear velocity is a vector quantity that describes the translational motion of a body. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

3. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It is represented by the symbol ω (omega) and is measured in radians per second.

4. Can angular velocity be negative?

Yes, angular velocity can be negative depending on the direction of rotation. A negative angular velocity indicates that the body is rotating in the opposite direction of the chosen coordinate system.

5. How does angular velocity affect the motion of a rigid body?

The angular velocity of a rigid body affects its rotational motion by determining the speed and direction of rotation. It also affects the centripetal acceleration and moment of inertia of the body.