Angular Velocity on a circular platform

In summary, to find the final angular velocity of a system consisting of a rotating platform and a student walking towards the center, we need to use the equation I1W1=I2W2, where I1 and I2 are the initial and final rotational inertia of the system. This means that the angular momentum is conserved for the combination of the platform and student. Using this equation with the values provided, we can find that the final angular velocity is 7.61 rad/s when the student is 2.47 m from the center.
Naldo6
A large horizontal circular platform (M=120.1 kg, r=3.45 m) rotates about a frictionless vertical axle. A student (m=73.3 kg) walks slowly from the rim of the platform toward the center. The angular velocity w of the system is 3.9 rad/s when the student is at the rim. Find w (in rad/s) when the student is 2.47 m from the center.

Does the angular velocity w is not the same everywhere in the circular platform?...
i put 3.9 rad/s and the answer was wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
i use de I1W1=I2W2

if I= (1/2)Mr^2 then:

(1/2)MR1^2W1=(1/2)MR2^2W2

finding out for... W2= [(R1^2) / (R2^2)]* W1

W2= [(3.45^2)/(2.47^2)]*(3.9)
W2= 7.61 rad/s

the answer is wrongs...Can anyone help me please...

Hi Naldo6,

Naldo6 said:
i use de I1W1=I2W2

if I= (1/2)Mr^2 then:

(1/2)MR1^2W1=(1/2)MR2^2W2

This equation is not correct. The angular momentum is not conserved for the student alone or the platform alone; it is conserved for the combination (platform+student). This means that the rotational inertia I has to be that of the combination (platform+ student).

So for your equation I1W1=I2W2 :

I1 = (initial I for platform) + (initial I for student)

and a similar quantity for I2. Do you get the right answer?

ty it gives me the correct answer with ur suggestion...

1. What is angular velocity on a circular platform?

Angular velocity on a circular platform is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point, such as the center of a circular platform. It is measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are both measures of how fast an object is moving, but they differ in the direction of motion. Angular velocity measures the rate of change of angular displacement, while linear velocity measures the rate of change of linear displacement.

3. What factors affect angular velocity on a circular platform?

The factors that affect angular velocity on a circular platform include the radius of the platform, the speed of rotation, and the mass of the object on the platform. Additionally, any external forces acting on the object can also affect its angular velocity.

4. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It can also be calculated by multiplying the speed of rotation by the radius of the circular platform.

5. What are some real-life examples of angular velocity on a circular platform?

Some real-life examples of angular velocity on a circular platform include the rotation of a Ferris wheel, the spinning of a top, and the orbit of planets around the sun. It is also important in sports such as ice skating, figure skating, and gymnastics, where athletes perform rotations on a fixed point.