Anime Discussion Thread - Any Anime Fans Out There?

In summary: Death Note is a high school students comes across a notebook that allows him to kill anyone in the world remotely, as long as he knows their face and name. He immediately proclaims himself protector and God of a new world, and uses the notebook to rid society of its violent and criminal elements, before devolving into purging anyone he views and undesirable. Most of the series in devoted to extremely elaborate scheming and counter-scheming between him and the detective hired to track him down. Is it an extension of Dragonball AF? Quite frankly, I can't stand fanmade versions of animes. :yuck:
Infinitum said:
Has anyone watched/read Meitantei Conan - Case Closed? (aka Detective Conan)

Me haz watched it long back. It had really interesting episodes but i don't know how it ended. :'(

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you seen Elfen Lied and Black Lagoon?

Both. Elfen Lied was good, but the anime gutted about half the storyline of the manga and altered a lot of characterization (Lucy is not nearly so sympathetic in the manga). I strongly recommend reading the manga if you haven't already.

I also want to know if Neon Genesis is good. Ohh and Princess Mononke and Spirited Away are awesome. Just epic story telling in both. :P

SolsticeFire said:
I also want to know if Neon Genesis is good. Ohh and Princess Mononke and Spirited Away are awesome. Just epic story telling in both. :P

Neon Genesis is historically important (a milestone in the history of Japanese animation, effectively killing the genre of which it was a part) and good in the sense that a dense treatise on philosophy or history might be "good"; which is to say that it's good, but not particularly entertaining (I recommend seeing it).

I like intellectual manga/anime that stimulate my mind. So i'll get to this soon :P

Number Nine said:
Neon Genesis is historically important (a milestone in the history of Japanese animation, effectively killing the genre of which it was a part) and good in the sense that a dense treatise on philosophy or history might be "good"; which is to say that it's good, but not particularly entertaining (I recommend seeing it).

I second that. Though it's definitely a classic, and a must-watch for anime fans, it's not what you'd call "entertaining".

Pranav-Arora said:
You just killed all the surprise for Infinitum. :P

I think the more apt word would be "shock". :tongue2:

SolsticeFire said:
I like intellectual manga/anime that stimulate my mind.

Oh boy, you'll love Death Note and Code Geass. :wink:

Anyone here seen Mirai Nikki (Future Diary)? I hear it's got a compelling dark theme, with a sound plot.

jobsism said:
Anyone here seen Mirai Nikki (Future Diary)? I hear it's got a compelling dark theme, with a sound plot.

I've read the manga. The premise is interesting, but I don't think it was as well executed as it could have been. Overall, it would probably be worth it to see.

Hmm, guess I'll add it to my watch-list as well. Gonna watch Grave of the Fireflies now (Thanks for that! :smile:). It's plot somehow reminds me of Jigoku Shoujo. Have you seen the latter?

Huh, late to the thread. My favs.

Puella Magi Madoka Magika. Brilliant deconstruction of the magical girl genre. Well plotted and well directed. Deserves all the accolades it got.

Clannad. Just so sweet. Kyo-Ani lost the rights to Little Busters! Although I don't think LB's story is as strong as Clannad. I wish they'd turn Rewrite into an anime though :frown:

Angel Beats. Another Key work. Hmm. Pitty about the episode count, should have been a 24 episoder.

Da Capo II. Especially DC II SS. Another magical romance. I'm seeing a pattern here.

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works. I prefer UBW to Fate route (or Fate/Zero).

How does Anime impact your ability to read? I thought reading anime, but my English teacher said that since there is very few text, you will lose your ability to think critically and read proficiently.

tahayassen said:
How does Anime impact your ability to read? I thought reading anime, but my English teacher said that since there is very few text, you will lose your ability to think critically and read proficiently.

By reading, I believe you're referring to the comics (its called Manga; Anime's the video counterpart). Well, I don't know about critical thinking ability or vocabulary, but I think anime/manga, to some extent, has made me streetsmart.

Also, I'm of the opinion that reading (no matter what the content) never degrades your reading/writing proficiency. You read it, burn in the heat of the story, laugh at the humor, cry for the sentimence, and leave it all where it ends. Well, that's what I think, atleast.

tahayassen said:

...then read other things as well.