Understanding Annihilator Method for y'' + 4y = 0

• Thread starter s3a
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the annihilator method for solving a homogeneous ODE with constant coefficients, particularly for the equation y''+ 4y= 0. The method involves finding the characteristic solutions and using the method of undetermined coefficients, with sin(2x) being a possible solution in this case. The comment mentioned an actual annihilator, but this was not mentioned in the video. Further elaboration was requested on this topic.
s3a

Homework Statement

(Snapshot time = 1:02)

Homework Equations

Annihilator method.

The Attempt at a Solution

In the snapshot at time = 1:02 of this video, I don't get the y'' + 4y = 0 despite the annotations the author placed. Also, a comment in the video says "you skipped finding and applying the actual annihilator." Could someone please elaborate on all this since I'm having major trouble with this topic?

Any help in understanding this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In general, you solve a homogeneous ODE with constant coefficients by solving the "characteristic equation". For a second order equation, with real coefficients, that will be a quadratic equation with roots of the form a+ bi and a- bi. The corresponding solutions to the ODE will be [itex]e^{(a+ bi)x}= e^axe^{bix}[/itex] and [itex]e^{(a- bi)x}= e^xe^{bix}[/itex]. As you have probably learned, [itex]e^{bix}= cos(bx)+ i sin(bx)[/itex] (you can get that by comparing the Tayor's series of [itex]e^{bix}[/itex] with the Taylor's series of sin(bx) and cos(bx)). In particular, sin(2x) and cos(2x) correspond to [itex]e^{2ix}[/itex] and [itex]e^{-2ix}[/itex] which means that the "characteristic solutions" are 2i and -2i which, in turn, come from the characterstic equation [itex]r^2= -4[/itex] or [itex]r^2+ 4= 0[/itex] which corresponds to the ODE [itex]y''+ 4y= 0[/itex]. The point is that, to use the "Annihilator method" (also called the "method of undetermined coefficients"), the function of x, here, sin(2x), must be a possible solution of a homogeneous differential equation with constant coefficients and that is true here- sin(2x) is a solution to y''+ 4y= 0.

As for "you skipped finding and applying the actual annihilator", I watched this entire video and did not find those words.

The OP said it was a comment that said "you skipped finding and applying the actual annihilator."
I think s/he wanted elaboration on using annihilators for the problem.

Related to Understanding Annihilator Method for y'' + 4y = 0

1. What is the Annihilator Method for solving differential equations?

The Annihilator Method is a technique used to solve linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It involves finding an operator, called the annihilator, that when applied to the original equation, produces a simpler equation (usually a polynomial) that can be easily solved.

2. How does the Annihilator Method work?

The Annihilator Method works by finding the operator that, when applied to the original equation, will eliminate the highest order derivative term. This is done by taking the nth derivative of the operator and setting it equal to zero, where n is the order of the original equation. The resulting operator is then applied to the equation, reducing it to a simpler form that can be solved.

3. When should the Annihilator Method be used?

The Annihilator Method is most useful for solving linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It is particularly helpful for equations with non-homogeneous terms, as it can be used to reduce the equation to a homogeneous form that is easier to solve.

4. What are the benefits of using the Annihilator Method?

The Annihilator Method can greatly simplify the process of solving differential equations, as it reduces the equation to a simpler form that can be easily solved using algebraic techniques. It also allows for a systematic approach to solving equations with non-homogeneous terms, which can be more challenging to solve using other methods.

5. Are there any limitations to the Annihilator Method?

The Annihilator Method is only applicable to linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It also may not work for all types of non-homogeneous terms, as some may require more advanced techniques to solve. Additionally, the method may not always produce a solution, in which case other methods must be used to solve the equation.