Review: Brown-Eyed Man & Blue-Eyed Son - Genotypes Explained

• Thread starter f4d_girl
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about determining the genotypes of a family who has a blue-eyed son. It is revealed that the brown-eyed man's genotype is Bb, his father's genotype can be either Bb or BB, his mother's genotype is bb, his wife's genotype can be either bb or Bb, and their son's genotype is bb. It is also mentioned that the wife's father and mother cannot both have the genotype BB, as it would not result in a blue-eyed son. The conversation ends with a suggestion to address each question individually when handing in the answer.
f4d_girl
Hi... I just completed this assignment but I'm not sure if i did it correctly or not.. can someone review my assignment?

9. Hand- in question: A brown-eyed man whose father was brown-eyed and whose mother was blue-eyed married a woman whose father and mother were both brown-eyed. The couple has a blue-eyed son. For which of the individuals mentioned can you be sure of the genotypes? What are their genotypes? What genotypes are possible for the others?

1 = brown eye man
2 = his father
3 = his mother
4= his wife
5= wife’s father
6 = wife’s mother
7 = brown eyed man’s son

1 = Bb
2 = B? / he can be Bb or BB
3 = bb
4 = b? / she can be bb or Bb
5 = B? / he can be Bb or BB
6 = B?/ she can be Bb or BB
7 = bb

However, one should note that wife’s father and mother, both cannot be BB because the son is blue-eyed meaning that the wife is blue-eyed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything is fine until your last sentence. As you got correct in #4, the wife has one allele for blue eyes, but could be either homozygous or heterozygous, so you cannot know if she is blue-eyed or brown-eyed.

Yes i concur, it looks good up to your last line. But you already stated correctly in #4 that "his wife" is either bb or Bb. You also already know that Bb is brown eyes (as in #1) and bb is blue eyes (as in #7). So I suspect your last sentence was an oversight.

Although you solution does summarize the information needed to answer your questions, I suspect you are not going to hand in your answer in this form. Often teachers would like to see each question addressed individually.

For which of the individuals mentioned can you be sure of the genotypes?

What are their genotypes?

What genotypes are possible for the others?

Last edited:

What is the purpose of the review "Brown-Eyed Man & Blue-Eyed Son - Genotypes Explained"?

The purpose of the review is to explain the scientific concept of genotypes, specifically in relation to the inheritance of eye color, using the real-life example of a brown-eyed father and blue-eyed son.

What is a genotype?

A genotype is the genetic makeup of an individual, determined by the combination of alleles (different forms of a gene) inherited from their parents.

How is eye color determined by genetics?

Eye color is determined by multiple genes, with the most influential being the OCA2 gene. Variations in this gene can result in different levels of melanin production, leading to a range of eye colors from brown to blue.

Can a brown-eyed parent have a blue-eyed child?

Yes, it is possible for a brown-eyed parent to have a blue-eyed child. This is because eye color is determined by multiple genes, and the combination of alleles inherited from both parents can result in different eye colors.

What is the significance of the "Brown-Eyed Man & Blue-Eyed Son" example?

This real-life example helps to illustrate the complexity of genetics and the inheritance of traits. It also shows that eye color is not a simple dominant/recessive trait, but rather a result of multiple genes and their interactions.