1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another bio question

1. Feb 19, 2006 #1
    Hi... I just completed this assignment but i'm not sure if i did it correctly or not.. can someone review my assignment?

9. Hand- in question: A brown-eyed man whose father was brown-eyed and whose mother was blue-eyed married a woman whose father and mother were both brown-eyed. The couple has a blue-eyed son. For which of the individuals mentioned can you be sure of the genotypes? What are their genotypes? What genotypes are possible for the others?

1 = brown eye man
    2 = his father
    3 = his mother
    4= his wife
    5= wife’s father
    6 = wife’s mother
    7 = brown eyed man’s son

1 = Bb
    2 = B? / he can be Bb or BB
    3 = bb
    4 = b? / she can be bb or Bb
    5 = B? / he can be Bb or BB
    6 = B?/ she can be Bb or BB
    7 = bb

However, one should note that wife’s father and mother, both cannot be BB because the son is blue-eyed meaning that the wife is blue-eyed.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Everything is fine until your last sentence. As you got correct in #4, the wife has one allele for blue eyes, but could be either homozygous or heterozygous, so you cannot know if she is blue-eyed or brown-eyed.
  4. Feb 19, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes i concur, it looks good up to your last line. But you already stated correctly in #4 that "his wife" is either bb or Bb. You also already know that Bb is brown eyes (as in #1) and bb is blue eyes (as in #7). So I suspect your last sentence was an oversight.

Although you solution does summarize the information needed to answer your questions, I suspect you are not going to hand in your answer in this form. Often teachers would like to see each question addressed individually.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?