Another Electric Potential Problem

In summary, a charge of 2.9*10^-6C is held fixed at the origin, while a second charge of 2.9*10^-6C and a mass of 2.10g is released from rest at the position (1.15m, 0.550m). The question asks at what distance from the origin the second charge will attain half the speed it will have at infinity. To solve this, the equation for final kinetic energy is used, with the initial potential energy being determined by the initial position. After solving for the radius, the position of the second charge is added to it to get the final answer.
Brit412

Homework Statement

A charge of 2.9*10^-6C is held fixed at the origin. A second charge of 2.9*10^-6 C is released from rest at the position (1.15m, 0.550m). And the mass of the second charge is 2.10 g.
At what distance from the origin does the 2.9*10^-6 charge attain half the speed it will have at infinity?

Homework Equations

KE (final) = Potential Energy (initial) - PE (final)

The Attempt at a Solution

There was a part A to this question where I figured out the speed it had at infinity. For the second part, I tried to just solve for r using the same equation but it doesn't work. Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
At what distance from the origin does it start?

Now in terms of Potential Energy is concerned when the velocity is 1/2 of the final velocity, then at what radius if you released a charge would it only have 1/2 the previous part's velocity at ∞ ?

It starts at 0,0.

Brit412 said:
It starts at 0,0.

Looks to me like it is
released from rest at the position (1.15m, 0.550m)

What should I do with that position? Should I add it to the new radius I get?

Brit412 said:
What should I do with that position? Should I add it to the new radius I get?

Doesn't the initial position determine the initial potential energy?

Yes it does...I get it now, thank you!

1. How do you define electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a particular point in an electric field. It is a scalar quantity and is measured in volts (V).

2. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a property of a point in an electric field, while electric potential energy is a property of a system of charges. Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge, while electric potential energy is the total potential energy of all charges in a system.

3. How is electric potential related to electric field?

Electric field is the gradient of electric potential. In other words, the electric field at a point is the change in electric potential per unit distance in the direction of the field. Mathematically, this can be expressed as E = -∇V, where E is the electric field, V is the electric potential, and ∇ is the gradient operator.

4. What is the formula for calculating electric potential?

The formula for calculating electric potential is V = kq/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q is the charge of the source, and r is the distance from the source to the point at which the electric potential is being measured.

5. How does distance affect electric potential?

As the distance between a source charge and a point in the electric field increases, the electric potential decreases. This is because the electric field weakens with distance, resulting in a lower potential energy per unit charge at the point. The relationship between distance and electric potential is inversely proportional, and can be expressed as V ∝ 1/r.