What is the Integral Representation of Pi(x)?

• Thread starter eljose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: I think you mean s, not q, in the exponent of n. Also, the integrand should be multiplied by another factor of n. Finally, the q in the denominator of the fraction should be s. So the best form I can think of for the equation you're trying to write is:\pi(x) = \frac{1}{4\pi^{2}} \int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{d-i\infty}^{d+i\infty} \int_{c-i\infty}^{c+i\infty} (n^{-s+3}) x^{s} \frac{\zeta(ns) \ln \zeta(ns)}{\zeta(4
eljose
Let be the equaltiy: Sum(p)f(p)=Int(1,8)pi(x)f´(x) (1)

where 8 means infinity, and the `means derivative:

now we set in (1) f(x)=x^-s so we would have that:

Sum(p)p^-s=g(s)=-sInt(1,8)Pi(x)x^-(s+1) (2)

(2) has an inverse transform of the form:

-Int(C)g(s)x^s/2pi.is=Pi(x) C=is the real line conecting c-i8 and c+i8

Another useful formula is that:

Sum(p)p^-s=Sum(1,8)mu(n)LnR(ns)/n with R(s)=1+2^-s+3^-s+...

On the other hand we have that

Sum(1,8)mu(n)/n^(4-q)=1/R(4-q)=M[w(x)mu(x)/x^3]

where M is the Mellin Transform and w(x)=sum(1,8)d(x-n) with d the delta function,reagruping all we have that:

PI(x)=(1/4Pi^2)Int(0,8)In(d-i8,d+i8)Int(c-i8,c+i8)(n^-q+2)x^sLnR(ns)/R(4-q)s

That,s an integral for PI(x) exact as you can see know there is no problem with the term Pi(x)/x^4 you have only neeed to know the integral with an accuracy of 0.1 (rror term=0.1) to have PI(x)...

Before critizying my method i would like to say that the "real" value of Pi(x) set by Pi(x)=x/ln(x) has also fails you need for example to know ln(x) with an accuracy of 10^-100 to calculate pi(10^100) and so on...

P.D:if someone can help me to put it into latex i would be very grateful :)

what do you think of this new integral?...

Physics news on Phys.org
eljose said:
Let be the equaltiy: Sum(p)f(p)=Int(1,8)pi(x)f´(x) (1)

where 8 means infinity, and the `means derivative:

now we set in (1) f(x)=x^-s so we would have that:

Sum(p)p^-s=g(s)=-sInt(1,8)Pi(x)x^-(s+1) (2)

(2) has an inverse transform of the form:

-Int(C)g(s)x^s/2pi.is=Pi(x) C=is the real line conecting c-i8 and c+i8

Another useful formula is that:

Sum(p)p^-s=Sum(1,8)mu(n)LnR(ns)/n with R(s)=1+2^-s+3^-s+...

On the other hand we have that

Sum(1,8)mu(n)/n^(4-q)=1/R(4-q)=M[w(x)mu(x)/x^3]

where M is the Mellin Transform and w(x)=sum(1,8)d(x-n) with d the delta function,reagruping all we have that:

That,s an integral for PI(x) exact as you can see know there is no problem with the term Pi(x)/x^4 you have only neeed to know the integral with an accuracy of 0.1 (rror term=0.1) to have PI(x)...

Before critizying my method i would like to say that the "real" value of Pi(x) set by Pi(x)=x/ln(x) has also fails you need for example to know ln(x) with an accuracy of 10^-100 to calculate pi(10^100) and so on...

P.D:if someone can help me to put it into latex i would be very grateful :)

what do you think of this new integral?...
"Sum(p)f(p)=Int(1,8)pi(x)f´(x)": [tex]\sum_{p}f(p)=\int_{1}^{\infty}\pi(x)f'(x)dx[/tex]
f(x)=x^-s : [tex]f(x)=x^{-s}[/tex]
"Sum(p)p^-s=g(s)=-sInt(1,8)Pi(x)x^-(s+1)dx (2)":[tex]\sum_{p}p^{-s}=g(s)=-s\int_{1}^{\infty}\pi(x)x^{-(s+1)}dx[/tex]
-Int(C)g(s)x^s/2pi.is=Pi(x) :[tex]-\frac{1}{2\pi{is}}\oint_{C}g(s)x^{s}ds[/tex]
Sum(p)p^-s=Sum(1,8)mu(n)LnR(ns)/n with R(s)=1+2^-s+3^-s+...:
[tex]\sum_{p}p^{-s}=\sum_{1}^{\infty}\mu(n)\frac{LnR(ns)}{n}, R(s)=1+2^{-s}+3^{-s}\dots[/tex]
"Sum(1,8)mu(n)/n^(4-q)=1/R(4-q)=M[w(x)mu(x)/x^3]":
[tex]\sum_{1}^{\infty}\frac{\mu(n)}{n^{(4-q)}}=\frac{1}{R(4-q)}=M[\frac{w(x)\mu(x)}{x^{3}}][/tex]

I'm not doing this again.
Click on the LATEX images to see how the code is generated.

EDIT: A "Thank you" might have been expected..:grumpy:

Last edited:
eljose said:

No one says that is the "real value", indeed it is only an asymptotic bound, and cannot be used to calclutate pi(x) with any accuracy at all. Even the improvement with the logarithmic integral doesn't work as an actual "value", and the difference between them changes sign a lot - that's an important theorem in number theory, you ought to look it up some time. See eg Leveque fundamentals of number theory (Dover) Ch. 1.

Thank you very much arildno...couldwe ut the last integral too? i mean the triple integral...

another question i know that in this forum there is atopic about latex where i could find it?..thanks again.

:smile:
[tex]\pi(x)=\frac{1}{4\pi^{2}}\int_{0}^{\infty}\int_{d-i\infty}^{d+i\infty}\int_{c-i\infty}^{c+i\infty}(n^{-q}+2)x^{s}\frac{LnR(ns)}{R(4-q)}sdV[/tex]

You can look at the "Intro to Latex"-thread in "General Physics", or google on "The not so short introduction to LATEX"

You evidently have a lot of patience, arildno, and I'll thank you on behalf of the OP who simultaneously thinks latex is too much effort to use, but doesn't appreciate you doing it for him.

in fact the final integral i would like to say is:[tex]\pi(x)=\frac{1}{4\pi^{2}}\int_{0}^{\infty}\int_{d-i\infty}^{d+i\infty}\int_{c-i\infty}^{c+i\infty}(n^{-q+2})x^{s}\frac{LnR(ns)}{R(4-q)s}dqdnds[/tex]

with R(s) is the Riemann zeta function

Last edited:
What about acknowledging arildno? Or for that matter that your assertion that we think pi(x)=x/log(x) (even just as an approximator) is patently false, and downright misleading.

Actually, eljose did thank me in post 4; however I would like to ask you eljose:
To calculate a triple integral is, by itself, a daunting task. I can't see where your calculation is easier than say, calculating Pi(x) by other means.

is a good question arildno,my answer will be that yes to calculate an integral is hard but in this case you only need to know the integral with an accuracy of error=0.1 (as the PI(x) function is always an integer), another good answer is that there are lots and lots of methods to calculate integrals.

Why my expresssion is better than others (perhaps it will sound unmodest )
1.Mine is an exact expression
2.Other expression are exact but to calculate pi(x) you must calculate the series [tex]\sum_{1}^{x}f(n)[/tex] with f(n)a complicate function let x big and try to calculate the series
3.Other methods to calculate the function ask you to know all the primes p<x put x big and see what occurs

A good thing you could argue against my method ..know where the 0 of the Riemann function lie,no problem use Riemann,s conjeture and you see they are always of the form [tex]\sigma=1/2+it[/tex] with that you could calculate the residues of R(4-q) and LnR(ns)

Last edited:
It is a computationally laborious task to calculate integrals of your type, eljose; even though there exist various methods for doing it.
What I would suggest you to do, is to find out how many operations would be needed in order to calculate the integral to the desired degree of accuracy.
If you can prove that a calculation along your lines is computationally effective, then you could generate some interest in it.

There are other zeroes than those in the critical region, eljose, plus even conjecturing those are the only ones doesn't tell you where they are and their residues there. Your method seems computationally more intensive than the other methods on the surface (needing a list of primes isn't very much of a hindrance, since you can calculate them using pi(x) recursively if you must, or use the methods that don't need an explicit list of primes). Have you looked at the cost of the known algorithms? Or the costs of calculating triple integrals over an infinite volume? Can you even bound the error to know what finite interval to integrate over. All these questions and many more still to be answered.

Yours is an exact expression, but its exactness doesn't actually do anything for calculations, as you well know (look at your own criticisms of x/logx which isn't even anything like an exact estimate of pi(x).)

I,m not an expert in numerical analysis so i don,t know where or how to find the error term perhaps the best method i can think of is this make a change of variables so you get your integral in real plane,next you approximate your improper integral by an integral depending on N with N big and after that use MOntecarlo,s method with perhaps a 1000000 points (as you know this method does not depend on the dimension of the integral,i don,t know what the error of the integrals made by this method would have.

Another use of the integral would be to study the Prime number counting function in complex domain,for example to get the values [tex]\pi(a+ib)[/tex] with a and b integers

Last edited:
eljose said:
Another use of the integral would be to study the Prime number counting function in complex domain,for example to get the values [tex]\pi(a+ib)[/tex] with a and b integers

Well that's an interesting idea.

Why don't you do it yourself and see if you can find anything itneresting?

If you can, maybe that could be published...

That's an interesting question: the primes in Z, and number fields, in general. In some number fields the Riemann hypothesis is known to be true, mutatis mutandis (selberg, perhaps?).

Until you have answers to those questions that are difficult because you aren't a numerical analyst can I suggest you stop saying other methods are inefficient?

Perhpas my mistake is only to be a physicist ignorant in some math aspect that was interested in number theroy and dreamt about publishing something about it

I think that in Montecarlo,s method the error goes as [tex]\frac{1}{M^1/2}[/tex]...as seen on internet wtih M the number of points used in evaluation,as you can see matt this is a good way to evaluate Pi(x) (montecarlo,s method does not depend on dimension of the integral nor the form of the function f that,s good:) ) now i have explained how could this integral could be evaluated and as i expressed before with only an accuracy of 0.1=error term that,s enough to obtain Pi(x).

Of course, now you also need to numerically estimate the function inside your integral too, as well as the error outside the box you're integrating over, as well as estimating the cost of applying the monte carlo method.

The error in Montecarlo,s method goes as <f^2>-<f>^2=NError where N is the number of points taken for the integration in our case f is

[tex]\frac{(x^s)(n^{-q+2})LnR(ns)}{sR(4-q)}[/tex]

perhaps i must give up my method is not better than others...:( the only advantage i see is that it can give the values of the function Pi(x) for x non integer and even complex x (using analytic prolongation), i would like if possible someone to tell me a method to calculate complex integrals (i haven,t found anyone in the web). thanks for your comments matt...

You seemed to miss the point I was making: it is not only necessary to know the error in applying the montecarlo method, but the cost of each calculation in each step of the method.

Pi(x) is defined for non-integer x (it is a function from R to R), but cannot be continued analytically since it is constant on a set of dense points - you'd have to define a new function that was pi(x) at integral x and non-constant on intervals before you could continue analytically.

so it can not be defined for z=a+bi? with a and b integers i mean by setting z^s inside the integral...

I didn't say that, I said it won't be analytically continued as it's not an analytic function.

Remember that there are lots of analytic continuations of &pi;(n).

For example, suppose f is any function such that f(n) = &pi;(n) for any positive integer n.

Define g(z) := f(z) + sin 2&pi;z

Then we also have that g(n) = &pi;(n) for all positive integers n.

But the usual extension of the function pi(x) defined on R doesn't have an analytic continuation, since it is a step function.

well in this case my function would be useful to expresss the values of Pi(z) z=a+bi this is completely new and perhaps useful,i sent it to teachers of my university but i have not got a response...i think that at last they could have taken some time to reply my questions:( but they didn,t,i don,t know what else to do becuse at arxiv.rg they ask you to have an endorser to publish your math work i also think that if you send your ideas to your teacher a response "we have watched it but found no interesting or it seems to be interesting for certain things" would do no harm to them, remember the case of Ramanujan who sent his ideas to Hardy,at least hardy took some time to respond him and made him to come to England to study with him (that,s an exampleof a good person and a good teacher)..

Anohter question realted to the prime number countign funciton and its integral would be to find the Lineal operator [tex]L_t(y)[/tex] (differential operator satisfied by the Green function:

[tex]G(t,s)=\frac{1}{exp(st)-1}[/tex] wiht that you would have solved the prime numer counting function, another question i have is given the function f so

[tex]\sum_{1}^{x}f(p)=f´(x)[/tex] where the sum is only in primes can someone help?..thanks.

Last edited:
But what you are basically asking, eljose, is that everyone else but yourself should find out the interesting applications of your formula!
You have already found one direction which MIGHT yield something of interest; why don't you pursue this yourself?

For the love of God man, where do you get of comparing yourself to Ramanujan?

In another thread you insulted the mathematical abilities of Gauss and Riemann, after mispelling the latter's name.

It's amazing anyone pays you any attention at all.

eljose said:
well in this case my function would be useful to expresss the values of Pi(z) z=a+bi this is completely new and perhaps useful,

And it might be completely pointless.

Ramunajan was a self taught genius. You have had the benefits of a university education.

Last edited:
matt grime said:
And it might be completely pointless.

Ramunajan was a self taught genius. You have had the benefits of a university education.

I have read the Ramanujan,s notebook and most of their discoveries were useful for nothing,can,t calculate primes or obtain the zeros of Riemann functin. in fact most of number theory is useless in practical life (as told by several math teachers) and is only valid as an entertainment...

apart from my formula for evaluationg Pi(z) wiht z complex (this is completely new so i think it could be published) i have discovered a relationship between the two series [tex]\sum_pf(p) and \sum_1^{\infty}(-1)^{n}f(n)[/tex] via an Euler transform so it can be useful to compute sums over primes

I think that a response from teacher i sent my work saying "sorry we are very snob and only want famous people work" would do them no harm (sincerity is the best policy :) )

Last edited:
But, eljose:
Do you agree that calculating the Laplace or Fourier transform of a function does not constitute sufficient research?

If you do agree to this, why should the computing of the Mellin transform of a function be regarded as sufficient research?

Last edited:
Yes arildno..but my double Mellin inverse transform gives you the prime number counting function for any x, The Meelin inverse is related to the Fourier transform and this last one can be computed fast numerically (fast Fourier transform) Ramanujan Gauss and Riemann themselves couldn,t discover my formula...

To deadwolf:at least Ramanujan was given a chance to publish his formulae by Hardy,i wish i had a good teacher like Hardy to help me with my math and physics...:)

If you are going to make wild claims such as no one has ever written down a funtion defined on C such that values at integers are equal to the values of pi, then you ought at least to go away and check if that is true or not. I can think of many extensions to C.

As we keep pointing out, simply writing down a transformation isn't research. Do some work with it.

You may be an undiscovered genius, and if you keep going the way you are now that is how you'll stay. - insulting those whose approval you need isn't going to win you many supporters. You don't actually appear to want to learn any mathematics, or do any mathematics. Instead you seem content to write out elementary formulae that anyone could find. How about reading the papers of Selberg, Conrey, Odlyzko, Ono. Wiles, Green, Keating, et al to see what some real maths looks like? Then perhaps you can make a value judgement on your find.

1. What is the Integral Representation of Pi(x)?

The Integral Representation of Pi(x) is a mathematical formula that represents the number of prime numbers less than or equal to a given value x. It is denoted by the symbol π(x) and is also known as the Prime Counting Function.

2. How is the Integral Representation of Pi(x) calculated?

The Integral Representation of Pi(x) is calculated by taking the integral of the logarithmic integral function, which is defined as Li(x) = ∫(1/ln t)dt from 2 to x. This integral is then rounded to the nearest integer to get the value of π(x).

3. What is the significance of the Integral Representation of Pi(x)?

The Integral Representation of Pi(x) is significant because it provides a way to estimate the number of prime numbers without actually listing them out. This is useful in many mathematical applications, such as in number theory and cryptography.

4. Can the Integral Representation of Pi(x) be used to find the exact value of π(x)?

No, the Integral Representation of Pi(x) can only provide an estimate of the number of prime numbers less than or equal to a given value x. It cannot be used to find the exact value of π(x) as it is an approximation based on the logarithmic integral function.

5. Are there any limitations to the Integral Representation of Pi(x)?

Yes, the Integral Representation of Pi(x) has limitations. It is only accurate for large values of x and becomes less accurate as x gets smaller. It also does not take into account the distribution of prime numbers, which can lead to some inaccuracies in the estimation.