Calculate Displacement Vector from Camp to Summit - 2079m

• Thread starter vihits13
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves discussing the components of a displacement vector from the base camp to the summit of a mountain. The summit is 2079 m above the base camp and measured to be 4577 m horizontally from the camp in a direction 32.4° west of north. The x-axis is chosen to be east, the y-axis is north, and the z-axis is up. The components of the displacement vector are x= ?, y= ?, and z= ? meters. The magnitude of the vector is also being discussed, but no value is given. The person asking for help is reminded to show their work and provide a diagram.
vihits13
The summit of a mountain, 2079 m above base camp, is measured on a map to be 4577 m horizontally from the camp in a direction 32.4° west of north. Choose the x-axis east, y-axis north, and z axis up. What are the components of the displacement vector from camp to summit?

x= ? m
y= ? m
z= ? m

What is the magnitude?
? meters

Thanks if u r helping me out!

Physics news on Phys.org
from my replies to your first and second question threads:

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF, vihits. As the rules say when you signed up just now, you must show your work up to now on these problems. We do not do your homework for you. We *do* help you when your are stuck on some concept, or making an error that we can spot.

So, can you show your work so far?

Like, what does your diagram look like? What did you choose for the direction of your x-axis?

I would approach this problem by first setting up a coordinate system with the x-axis pointing east, the y-axis pointing north, and the z-axis pointing up. Using this coordinate system, we can calculate the components of the displacement vector from camp to summit.

x = 4577 m * cos(32.4°) = 3818.98 m (east)
y = 4577 m * sin(32.4°) = 2407.76 m (north)
z = 2079 m (up)

To find the magnitude of the displacement vector, we can use the Pythagorean theorem:

magnitude = √(x^2 + y^2 + z^2) = √(3818.98^2 + 2407.76^2 + 2079^2) = 5561.69 m

Therefore, the components of the displacement vector from camp to summit are:
x = 3818.98 m (east)
y = 2407.76 m (north)
z = 2079 m (up)

And the magnitude of the displacement vector is 5561.69 m.

1. How do I calculate the displacement vector from camp to summit?

To calculate the displacement vector from camp to summit, you will need to know the coordinates of both locations. Then, you can use the formula d = √((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2) to find the distance between the two points. Finally, you can use trigonometry to determine the direction and magnitude of the displacement vector.

2. Why is it important to calculate the displacement vector?

Calculating the displacement vector allows us to understand the change in position between two points. This information is crucial in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and navigation.

3. What units should I use for the displacement vector?

The units for displacement vector are typically in meters (m) or kilometers (km) for distance, and degrees (°) or radians (rad) for direction. However, the units may vary depending on the specific application or problem.

4. Can I use a different formula to calculate the displacement vector?

Yes, there are other formulas that can be used to calculate the displacement vector. For example, you can use the Pythagorean theorem for finding the distance between two points, or you can use vector addition to determine the displacement vector from multiple points.

5. How can I visualize the displacement vector?

To visualize the displacement vector, you can use a graph or diagram to plot the coordinates of the two points and draw the vector between them. You can also use a mapping tool or software to create a visual representation of the displacement vector on a map.