Related Rates: Shadow of a Falling Ball

I cannot seem to get that answer.where did the 46 come from? it's not in the original problem statement, is it?In summary, the problem involves finding the speed of the shadow of a ball after .5 seconds assuming the ball falls a distance of s=16t^2. Using chain rule and implicit differentiation, the height of the ball is calculated as h=50-16t^2. To find the speed of the shadow, the ratios of similar triangles are used to write x as a function of h. After solving for x, the speed of the shadow can be found by taking the derivative of x with respect to h and then multiplying it with
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

A light shines from the top of a pole 50 ft high. A ball is dropped from the same height at a point 30 ft away. (see thumbnail). How fast is the shadow of the ball moving along the ground .5 seconds later assuming ball falls a distance of [tex] s=16t^2[/tex]

Homework Equations

Chain Rule/ Implicit Differentiation

The Attempt at a Solution

I have labeled the height of the ball after 1/2 second as [tex]h=50-16t^2[/tex] which=46.
I have assumed (possibly incorrectly) that the base of the triangle larger is [tex]x[/tex] and the smaller base is [tex]x-30[/tex].
I calculate [tex]\frac{dh}{dt}=-32t\left|_t_=_.5=-16[/tex]
I know that[tex] \frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{dh}{dt}*\frac{dx}{dh}[/tex] ...but I am having trouble writing x as a function of h.

I think it has to do with similar triangles. But I can't seem to make it work.

th_Photo3.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Saladsamurai said:

Homework Statement

A light shines from the top of a pole 50 ft high. A ball is dropped from the same height at a point 30 ft away. (see thumbnail). How fast is the shadow of the ball moving along the ground .5 seconds later assuming ball falls a distance of [tex] s=16t^2[/tex]

Homework Equations

Chain Rule/ Implicit Differentiation

The Attempt at a Solution

I have labeled the height of the ball after 1/2 second as [tex]h=50-16t^2[/tex] which=46.
I have assumed (possibly incorrectly) that the base of the triangle larger is [tex]x[/tex] and the smaller base is [tex]x-30[/tex].
I calculate [tex]\frac{dh}{dt}=-32t\left|_t_=_.5=-16[/tex]
I know that[tex] \frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{dh}{dt}*\frac{dx}{dh}[/tex] ...but I am having trouble writing x as a function of h.

I think it has to do with similar triangles. But I can't seem to make it work.

If I'm reading that very small picture correctly,
one of the triangles has sides of height 50 and length x,
and the other has sides of height h and length x-30.
The ratios of these lengths are the same since the triangles are
similar.

olgranpappy said:
If I'm reading that very small picture correctly,
one of the triangles has sides of height 50 and length x,
and the other has sides of height h and length x-30.
The ratios of these lengths are the same since the triangles are
similar.

That is what I had been trying, but am failing miserably. I do want to write [tex]x(h)[/tex] right?

BTW~Click on the picture to enlarge it!

so [tex]\frac{X}{50}=\frac{X-30}{h}[/tex]

I don't know why I am having so much trouble solving this for X? I do need to solve this for X right?

Last edited:
Saladsamurai said:
That is what I had been trying, but am failing miserably. I do want to write [tex]x(h)[/tex] right?

BTW~Click on the picture to enlarge it!

so [tex]\frac{X}{50}=\frac{X-30}{h}[/tex]

I don't know why I am having so much trouble solving this for X? I do need to solve this for X right?

Yes, you do need to solve for X. It's just a little tiny algebra problem:

Multiply both sides by 50,

cancel the 50 in the denominator on the LHS,

multiply both sides by h,

cancel the h in the denominator on the RHS,

isolate all the terms involving X onto one side of the equation,

isolate all the terms not involving X onto the other side of the equation,

write the side of the equation involving X as a product of X times one other factor,

divide both sides by that factor.

Thanks for the algebra lesson, I had never encoutered that before:wink:

[tex]xh=50(x-30)
\Rightarrow\frac{h}{50}=\frac{x-30}{x}
\Rightarrow h=\frac{50x-1500}{x}\leftarrow[/tex] for some reason I go retarded
here...why? why can't I seem to isolate x?

If you leave it like

xh = 50x - 1500

does it look any easier? Hint: group like terms.

Saladsamurai said:
Thanks for the algebra lesson, I had never encoutered that before:wink:

[tex]xh=50(x-30)
\Rightarrow\frac{h}{50}=\frac{x-30}{x}
\Rightarrow h=\frac{50x-1500}{x}\leftarrow[/tex] for some reason I go retarded
here...why? why can't I seem to isolate x?
How about this:
[tex] \frac{x}{50}= \frac{x}{h}-\frac{30}{h}[/tex]
Can you rearrange for x from there?

Winzer said:
How about this:
[tex] \frac{x}{50}= \frac{x}{h}-\frac{30}{h}[/tex]
Can you rearrange for x from there?

I don't know...I got [tex] xh=50x-1500\Rightarrow xh-50x=-1500\Rightarrow x(h-50)=-1500\Rightarrow x=\frac{-1500}{h-50}[/tex]

Thanks:redface:but now I am having trouble differentiating for [tex]\frac{dx}{dh}[/tex] I am getting [tex]\frac{1500}{h-50}^2}[/tex] is that correct? Thatis supposed to be just the denominator squared...I cannot fig how to keep it down there

Saladsamurai said:
I don't know...I got [tex] xh=50x-1500\Rightarrow xh-50x=-1500\Rightarrow x(h-50)=-1500\Rightarrow x=\frac{-1500}{h-50}[/tex]

Thanks:redface:but now I am having trouble differentiating for [tex]\frac{dx}{dh}[/tex] I am getting [tex]\frac{1500}{h-50}^2}[/tex] is that correct? Thatis supposed to be just the denominator squared...

yes, just the denominator.

you have:
[tex]
x=(-1500){(h-50)}}^{-1}
[/tex]
the (-1500) just sits out front. why would it get squared?
[tex]
\frac{dx}{dh}=(-1500)(-1){(h-50)}^{-2}=\frac{1500}{{(h-50)}^2}\;.
[/tex]

Saladsamurai said:

Thanks:redface:but now I am having trouble differentiating for [tex]\frac{dx}{dh}[/tex] I am getting [tex]\frac{1500}{h-50}^2}[/tex] is that correct? That is supposed to be just the denominator squared...I cannot fig how to keep it down there

So dh/dt at .5 seconds is -16 and dx/dh at h=46 is -1500/16[tex]^2[/tex] so their product is dx/dt correct? so dx/dt at .5 seconds is 1500/16 correct?

Last edited:
Saladsamurai said:
So dh/dt at .5 seconds is -16 and dx/dh at h=46 is -1500/16[tex]^2[/tex] so if their product is dx/dt correct? so dx/dt at .5 seconds is 1500/16 correct?

no.

dx/dh at h=46 is +1500/(16^2).

so I need to change it to -1500/16 yes?
The reason I am having so much trouble is that the Text gives an answer of dx/dt=-1500.

yes -1500/16 ft per second

Well then. Thank you for all of your time and patience. Most of my trouble, has, however, stemmed from the classic "incorrect textbook solution." The book insists that the answer is -1500 ft/sec. It must be a typo.

Thanks again for the help,
~Casey

Not so fast, check dx/dh at h=46 again. You squared twice, leaving an extra 16

oopsy daisy, turdferguson is right
[tex]
\frac{dh}{dt}\frac{dx}{dh}=({-16})(\frac{1500}{(4)^2})=-1500
[/tex]
sorry about not catching that

olgranpappy said:
oopsy daisy, turdferguson is right
[tex]
\frac{dh}{dt}\frac{dx}{dh}=({-16})(\frac{1500}{(4)^2})=-1500
[/tex]
sorry about not catching that

Ah ha! Thanks again guys.

Casey

1. What is "Another Related Rates" and how is it different from regular related rates?

"Another Related Rates" is a type of calculus problem that involves finding the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another quantity, while both quantities are changing. It is different from regular related rates because in "Another Related Rates," there are multiple quantities that are changing and their rates of change are related to each other.

2. What is the process for solving "Another Related Rates" problems?

The process for solving "Another Related Rates" problems involves identifying the variables and their rates of change, writing an equation that relates the variables, differentiating the equation with respect to time, plugging in the given values and solving for the unknown rate of change.

3. How can I identify which quantities are related in "Another Related Rates" problems?

In "Another Related Rates" problems, the quantities are related through a mathematical equation. To identify which quantities are related, look for keywords such as "related to," "changing with," or "depends on" in the problem statement. These keywords can help you determine which quantities are related and how they are related.

4. Can "Another Related Rates" problems be solved using only one equation?

No, "Another Related Rates" problems typically require multiple equations to be solved. This is because there are multiple quantities that are changing and their rates of change are related to each other. Therefore, multiple equations are needed to fully solve the problem.

5. What are some real-life examples of "Another Related Rates" problems?

"Another Related Rates" problems can be applied to various real-life scenarios, such as calculating the rate at which the area of a circle is changing as its radius changes, determining the rate at which the volume of a balloon is changing as it is being inflated, or finding the rate at which the length of a shadow is changing as the angle of the sun's rays changes.