Another Special Relativity Question

In summary, the conversation discussed a question about calculating the kinetic energy of a meson that splits into two mesons with different rest masses. The equations used were Pi=Pf and Ei=Ef, and the final result for the kinetic energy was found to be 613 MeV, which is less than the energy of the original meson. The conversation also briefly touched on using LaTex for typing equations.
Chip90

Homework Statement

A meson is traveling with a rest mass of 500 MeV/c^2. It splits into two meson, each with rest mass of 140MeV/c^2. One Meson stops and the other one continues. Find the KE of the meson that is moving.

Homework Equations

Pi=Pf and Ei=Ef

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is another meson question I am stuck on. This is what I have

E^2=(mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2

Ei= (500^2*c^4 + c^2*Pi^2)^0.5

Ef= (140^2*c^4 + c^2*Pf^2)^0.5 + (140^2*c^4)^0.5

or do the C^2 in the denominator of the rest mass cancel with with the C^2s in the equations to give:Ei= (500^2 + c^2*Pi^2)^0.5

Ef= (140^2 + c^2*Pf^2)^0.5 + (140^2)^0.5

I think it is the second way. Once I do Pi=Pf and solve for momentum, I get P=2.46e-6 MeV/C = 2.47 eV/C

I don't think momentum should be that low correct? Also, how do I proceed to find the KE?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum has units of eV/c, so you missed a factor of c in your result. Kinetic energy, T, is energy minus the mass, so

[tex]T= E - mc^2.[/tex]

right, I just forgot to type that in, I have it on my paper. But, so do the ev/C^2 and the c^2 in the equations cancel? If so, why would that momentum be so low?

also how did you get that equation in there lol? it would make typing these equations look a lot better

Chip90 said:
right, I just forgot to type that in, I have it on my paper. But, so do the ev/C^2 and the c^2 in the equations cancel? If so, why would that momentum be so low?

The c^2s that you were talking about in the energy equation do cancel (i.e. your 2nd set of equations are correct), but I think you lost a factor of c when you solved for the momentum. I find p = 740 MeV/c, which is just about c times your answer.

also how did you get that equation in there lol? it would make typing these equations look a lot better

You can click on the image to get the code for that. Some references for learning LaTex are here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=386951

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the guide; let me get back to once I resolve that equation.

ok i figured out what i was doing wrong, I was accidently dividing by C somewhere. I am lost about that equation though. I understand it, but I only have momentum, not total energy. What did I find by solving for P?

I already knew the mc^2 part correct? (which is 140). I need to find E. So do I do:

E^2=(mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2

then find E and then use that eq?

That would give me E^2=140^2 + 740^2 = 753 MeV and KE=613 MeV. That doesn't seem correct.. How can it be more than the rest mass *c^2 for the original meson?

Chip90 said:
ok i figured out what i was doing wrong, I was accidently dividing by C somewhere. I am lost about that equation though. I understand it, but I only have momentum, not total energy. What did I find by solving for P?

I already knew the mc^2 part correct? (which is 140). I need to find E. So do I do:

E^2=(mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2

then find E and then use that eq?

That's correct.

That would give me E^2=140^2 + 740^2 = 753 MeV and KE=613 MeV. That doesn't seem correct.. How can it be more than the rest mass *c^2 for the original meson?

The original meson also had momentum 740 MeV/c, so you can check that the kinetic energy of the final state meson is not more than the energy of the original meson.

oh ok, that makes sense, thank you!

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light is always constant.

2. How does special relativity differ from classical mechanics?

Special relativity differs from classical mechanics in that it takes into account the speed of light and the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high velocities. Classical mechanics only applies to objects moving at slow speeds.

3. What is the famous equation of special relativity?

The famous equation of special relativity is E=mc^2, which describes the relationship between energy (E), mass (m), and the speed of light (c). It shows that energy and mass are interchangeable and that a small amount of mass can be converted into a large amount of energy.

4. Can special relativity be tested and proven?

Yes, special relativity has been extensively tested and has been proven to be accurate. Experiments such as the Michelson-Morley experiment and the Hafele-Keating experiment have provided evidence for the principles of special relativity.

5. How does special relativity impact our daily lives?

Special relativity has many practical applications in our daily lives, including GPS technology, particle accelerators, and nuclear energy. It also plays a crucial role in modern physics and has led to groundbreaking discoveries in the fields of quantum mechanics and cosmology.