Calculating the Force of a Stretched Spring: A Scientific Approach

• Thread starter ProBasket
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force required to hold a spring stretched at a distance of 13 cm, when 5 Joules of work is done in stretching the spring from its natural length. The formula W = F * D is used, but it is noted that the force is not constant and therefore an integral must be used to find the constant k. After solving the integral, k is found to be 591.7 N/m and the force at 13 cm is calculated to be 76.92 N.
ProBasket
Work of 5 Joules is done in stretching a spring from its natural length to 13 cm beyond its natural length. What is the force (in Newtons) that holds the spring stretched at the same distance (13 cm)?

here's what i done:

W = F * D
5 = F * 13
F = 5/13
F = kx
5/13 = k(13)
k = 5/39

[tex] \int_{0}^{13} 5/39 *x dx [/tex]

i'm really confuse about this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
ProBasket said:
Work of 5 Joules is done in stretching a spring from its natural length to 13 cm beyond its natural length. What is the force (in Newtons) that holds the spring stretched at the same distance (13 cm)?

here's what i done:

W = F * D
5 = F * 13
F = 5/13
F = kx
5/13 = k(13)
k = 5/39

[tex] \int_{0}^{13} 5/39 *x dx [/tex]

i'm really confuse about this problem

Remember that the force depends on x. So using W=F*D does not work since the force is not constant. You need to use the integral.

Use:
[tex] W = \int_{0}^{13} k *x dx [/tex]
to figure out k.

Then get the force.

F = kx

from this the only thing i have is X, how would i found out k?

ProBasket said:
F = kx

from this the only thing i have is X, how would i found out k?

To get k, use the integral:
[tex] W = \int_{0}^{13} k *x dx [/tex]

Solve the integral on the right side. What do you get?
Then substitude W=5 on the left side.

Now you should be able to get k.

5=169/2*k
k = 10/169

would i have to setup another integral?

[tex] \int_{0}^{13} 10/169 *x dx [/tex]

i get 5 if i solve that integral

ProBasket said:
5=169/2*k
k = 10/169

would i have to setup another integral?

[tex] \int_{0}^{13} 10/169 *x dx [/tex]

i get 5 if i solve that integral

I'm sorry. You need to convert to meters.

So
[tex] W = \int_{0}^{0.13} k *x dx [/tex]

I get k=591.7 N/m

Then F=kx=591.7* 0.13=76.92N

thanks alot!

1. What is the significance of spring in the scientific community?

Spring is an important season in the scientific community because it marks the transition from winter to summer. This change in seasons affects many aspects of the environment, including temperature, weather patterns, and plant and animal behavior.

2. How is spring different from other seasons?

Spring is characterized by longer days, warmer temperatures, and the growth and blooming of plants. It is also known for its unpredictable weather, with a mix of rain and sunshine. Unlike winter, spring is a time of renewal and growth in the natural world.

3. What causes the change in seasons during spring?

The change in seasons is caused by the Earth's tilt on its axis and its orbit around the sun. During spring, the Northern Hemisphere tilts towards the sun, resulting in longer days and warmer temperatures. This also causes the sun's rays to hit the Earth at a more direct angle, leading to increased heating and the start of spring.

4. How do scientists study the effects of spring on the environment?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study the effects of spring on the environment. This can include collecting data on temperature and weather patterns, observing the behavior of plants and animals, and analyzing changes in ecosystems. They may also use satellite imagery and remote sensing techniques to track changes in the environment over time.

5. What are some potential impacts of climate change on spring?

Climate change can have significant impacts on spring, including changes in temperature, precipitation patterns, and the timing of plant and animal life cycles. These changes can disrupt delicate ecosystems and affect agricultural production. It is important for scientists to continue studying and monitoring the effects of climate change on spring and taking action to mitigate its impacts.