Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Answer Problem

1. Mar 8, 2004 #1
    Answer Problem!!

A BOX WEIGHIN 200N IS 2 B SLID SLOWLTHROUGH 20 M ON A ROUGH STRAIGHT TRACKFRICTION COEFF=O.2I HAV 2 FIND THE WORK DONE BY THE FORCE ACTIN ON THE BOX!IF THE FORCE ACTS AT AN ANGLE 'A'WITH THE HORIZONTAL!!
    I CANT GET THE ANSWER!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please tell us your thoughts on the problem, and what you have come up with so far.

- Warren

4. Mar 8, 2004 #3

ShawnD

Science Advisor

W = Fd

The force must be parallel with the displacement! F is not the total force applied to the box. F is actually the force applied * cos([tex]\theta[/tex]).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2004
  5. Mar 11, 2004 #4
    ok... unless u know the angle A i doubt this problem can be solved.... most prolly the coef. of friction is coef. of kinetic friction.... so then the force of friction is (coef.)*mass*g and so the work done by it is distance*force of friction (jsut as shawn said). But if the coef. of friction is static friction, then this problem can't be solved. coz the work done by friction cud be 0 if the applied force is insufficient to move the block

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook