1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Answer Problem

1. Mar 8, 2004 #1
    Answer Problem!!

A BOX WEIGHIN 200N IS 2 B SLID SLOWLTHROUGH 20 M ON A ROUGH STRAIGHT TRACKFRICTION COEFF=O.2I HAV 2 FIND THE WORK DONE BY THE FORCE ACTIN ON THE BOX!IF THE FORCE ACTS AT AN ANGLE 'A'WITH THE HORIZONTAL!!
    I CANT GET THE ANSWER!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please tell us your thoughts on the problem, and what you have come up with so far.

- Warren

4. Mar 8, 2004 #3

ShawnD

Science Advisor

W = Fd

The force must be parallel with the displacement! F is not the total force applied to the box. F is actually the force applied * cos([tex]\theta[/tex]).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2004
  5. Mar 11, 2004 #4
    ok... unless u know the angle A i doubt this problem can be solved.... most prolly the coef. of friction is coef. of kinetic friction.... so then the force of friction is (coef.)*mass*g and so the work done by it is distance*force of friction (jsut as shawn said). But if the coef. of friction is static friction, then this problem can't be solved. coz the work done by friction cud be 0 if the applied force is insufficient to move the block

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?