ANSYS - mchining cutting forces

In summary, the individual is working on analyzing cutting forces in a machining process and is inquiring about whether ANSYS Workbench can assist with this task. There is some uncertainty about the feasibility of this calculation and it may require more advanced functions in ANSYS or even physical experimentation to accurately model. The individual has tried using ANSYS Workbench but has not been able to obtain the desired output for cutting forces. They are also considering using APDL for this task.
Hzaqa
Hi,

I am working to analysis cutting forces of machining process. I would like to enquire whther ANSYS workbench can do that, any idea?
Thanks,,

Engineering news on Phys.org
So, do you know what it would take to do this kind of calculation? If even possible (I'm not sure) it would be a heck of an undertaking for a beginner in ANSYS, and it would take more than just the built-in functions in Workbench...

Mech_Engineer said:
So, do you know what it would take to do this kind of calculation? If even possible (I'm not sure) it would be a heck of an undertaking for a beginner in ANSYS, and it would take more than just the built-in functions in Workbench...

Thnaks,,
I am asking if it's possible to solve it by applying workbench or APDL?

I personally don't think this can be modeled effectively in any finite element software. The complexity of the material interactions at the cutting tool will be basically impossible to successfully model.

My opinion anyway...

Do you have the actual machine you want to model? You could run an experiment on the machine and determine the forces, maybe by using some strain gauges. Then you could compare the experimental results to your ANSYS results and modify the model as needed.

Otherwise, your results directly from ANSYS probably won't be exact due to what Mech Engineer said. It would be interesting though to see how close you can get it.

Thanks,,,
It can be done by using ANSYS Workbench (Explicit Dynamics). However, I could not actually get the output of cutting forces. I am still asking if it's possible to solve it by applying workbench or APDL?

1. What is ANSYS?

ANSYS is a computer-aided engineering software used for simulation and analysis of various physical phenomena. It is widely used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing.

2. What is the purpose of ANSYS - machining cutting forces?

ANSYS - machining cutting forces is a module within the ANSYS software that simulates and calculates the cutting forces and forces acting on the tool during machining processes. It helps in optimizing tool design and predicting the tool life.

3. How does ANSYS - machining cutting forces calculate cutting forces?

ANSYS - machining cutting forces use advanced algorithms and mathematical models to simulate the cutting process and calculate the forces acting on the tool. It takes into account various factors such as material properties, tool geometry, and cutting conditions to provide accurate results.

4. What are the benefits of using ANSYS - machining cutting forces?

Using ANSYS - machining cutting forces can help in reducing the cost and time associated with physical testing of cutting tools. It also allows for the optimization of tool design and cutting parameters to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the machining process.

5. Can ANSYS - machining cutting forces be used for different types of machining processes?

Yes, ANSYS - machining cutting forces can be used for various types of machining processes such as turning, milling, drilling, and grinding. It can also be used for both traditional and non-traditional machining processes.