Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ANSYS - mchining cutting forces

1. Jan 20, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I am working to analysis cutting forces of machining process. I would like to enquire whther ANSYS workbench can do that, any idea?
    Thanks,,

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2012 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, do you know what it would take to do this kind of calculation? If even possible (I'm not sure) it would be a heck of an undertaking for a beginner in ANSYS, and it would take more than just the built-in functions in Workbench...

4. Jan 28, 2012 #3
    Thnaks,,
    I am asking if it's possible to solve it by applying workbench or APDL?

5. Feb 2, 2012 #4

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I personally don't think this can be modeled effectively in any finite element software. The complexity of the material interactions at the cutting tool will be basically impossible to successfully model.

My opinion anyway...

6. Feb 2, 2012 #5
    Do you have the actual machine you want to model? You could run an experiment on the machine and determine the forces, maybe by using some strain gauges. Then you could compare the experimental results to your ANSYS results and modify the model as needed.

Otherwise, your results directly from ANSYS probably won't be exact due to what Mech Engineer said. It would be interesting though to see how close you can get it.

7. Feb 4, 2012 #6
    Thanks,,,
    It can be done by using ANSYS Workbench (Explicit Dynamics). However, I could not actually get the output of cutting forces. I am still asking if it's possible to solve it by applying workbench or APDL?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook