Antiderivative of square root function

In summary, the given conversation discusses the process of finding the antiderivative of sqrt(81-x^2) in the bounds 0 to 9/2. The speaker uses a substitution method and manipulates the integral to get a new form, 9cos^2(t), which is then simplified using a double angle formula. The antiderivative is found to be (9/2)(t + cos(t)sin(t)), which is then substituted into the new bounds of theta = 0 to pi/6. However, the speaker realizes a mistake in the original integral and corrects it to 81cos^2(t). The final solution is then found to be 4.304. The conversation also briefly mentions a
cemar.
1. find the antiderivative of sqrt(81-x^2) in the bounds 0 to 9/2

okay so the first thing i did was sin substitution.
where I made x = 9sin(t) dx = 9cos(t) where t is theta.
then after some manipulating i got that that new integral was 9cos^2(t)
i then used the double angle formula and made it equal to 9/2 * (1 + cos(2t))
I then found the antiderivative of this integral to be 9/2 * (t + sin(2t)/2)
Using the identity that sin(2t) = 2sin(t)cos(t) the antiderivative became
(9/2) (t + cos(t)sin(t))
I then changed the bounds of the integral.
When x goes from 0 to 9/2, theta goes from 0 to pi/6
i then solved the integral to get 4.304
The actual answer is 38.74 so i think I am completely missing the boat here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ps any tips you might have would really help me out it doesn't have to be too in detail I am usually pretty good at this stuff. Thank you!

okay so it was actually a really dumb sneaky mistake:
after all the subtituting and manipulating was done instead of 9cos^2(t) its actually supposed to be 81cos^2(t) then follow my steps from there and its right!

It is a standard integral [i.e. anti-derivatives of a general form of problems]:

[tex]
\int \sqrt{a^2 - x^2}dx = \frac{x}{2} \sqrt{a^2 - x^2} + \frac{a^2}{2} sin^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{a}\right) + C
[/tex]

thats really cool! I've never seen that formula before!

It is, honestly, better to know HOW to do the integral, the way you did, rather than remember (or even look up) a formula.

1. What is the antiderivative of the square root function?

The antiderivative of the square root function is (2/3)x^(3/2) + C. This can also be written as (2/3√x^3) + C.

2. How do you find the antiderivative of the square root function?

To find the antiderivative of the square root function, you can use the power rule for integrals, which states that the antiderivative of x^n is (1/(n+1))x^(n+1) + C. In this case, n = 1/2, so the antiderivative is (1/(1/2+1))x^(1/2+1) + C = (2/3)x^(3/2) + C.

3. Can you use substitution to find the antiderivative of the square root function?

Yes, you can use substitution to find the antiderivative of the square root function. A common substitution is u = √x, which turns the integral into ∫u^2 du. This can then be solved using the power rule for integrals.

4. What is the relationship between the derivative and antiderivative of the square root function?

The derivative of the square root function is 1/(2√x), while the antiderivative is (2/3√x^3) + C. These two functions are inverse operations of each other, meaning that taking the derivative of the antiderivative will give you the original function.

5. Can the antiderivative of the square root function be expressed as a definite integral?

Yes, the antiderivative of the square root function can be expressed as a definite integral. The definite integral of the square root function from a to b is ∫(√x)dx = (2/3)(b^(3/2) - a^(3/2)).