Any Laboratory Scale Test of GR's correction to Newtonian Gravity?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
petergreat
Messages
266
Reaction score
4
Understanding the short-distance behaviour of gravity is crucial for constructing a quantum theory of gravity. The Newtonian inverse square law approximation has been tested in laboratory down to millimeter scales, but I'm not aware of any laboratory scale experiments testing general relativistic effects between two test bodies (frame dragging etc.). As far as I understand, string theory assumes that general relativity is a valid classical limit down to microscopic scales. Could it be that this assumption is simply wrong, even at millimeter scales?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
petergreat said:
I'm not aware of any laboratory scale experiments testing general relativistic effects between two test bodies (frame dragging etc.)

There are lab scale experiments that test special relativity (i.e. Doppler and Transverse Doppler).