Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any math games for big people?

1. Dec 13, 2005 #1

benorin

Homework Helper

Are there any math games (say, computer games) that are for big people? I don't want to hear about multiplication tables, or Math Blaster... I'm tallkin': "Oh no. Our hero's house is burning down: Can you help him solve these nasty tripple integrals in time :eek: ?" kinda stuff. Well, just asking.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

LOL. I think you've found a hole in the market. :biggrin:

4. Dec 13, 2005 #3
    hey...l tangoes are fun for all ages....

and then there are the math pentathlon games (you need to change the rules slightly to make it more challenging for adults)

5. Dec 14, 2005 #4

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's a bunch of prize puzzles out there.

6. Dec 14, 2005 #5

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about something like "Hotel Cardinality" where you're the manager of hotel with a countable set of rooms each of which is occupied. Some new guests arrive and your task is to rearrange the current occupants so as to make room for your new guests.

It takes time and patience to solve the problem but you're rewarded at the end with Level II!

7. Dec 15, 2005 #6

benorin

Homework Helper

Let me guess...

Level I:The Cantor set room layout
    Level II:The Serpinski carpet room layout
    Level III: Hilbert cube room layout...

What else?

8. Dec 15, 2005 #7

benorin

Homework Helper

Oh, you said countable. Right. So is an explicit bijection necessary? or is a proceedure for contruction sufficient?

9. Dec 15, 2005 #8
    SUDOKU!!! probably the latest japanese phase to come to north america in 2-3 years....or you could pick up a problem solving book like
    Larson. "Problem Solving"

10. Dec 15, 2005 #9
    Pssh. Su Doku. I still think there's a mathematical pattern to it all, or at least a programmeable algorithm to solve them.

11. Dec 15, 2005 #10
    of course there is....its rather easy to program. but its still none-the-less a mathematical (permutative) solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?