Any Recommendations for Circuit Simulation Tools in Linux?

In summary, the conversation is about the use of GNU/open source circuit simulation tools in Linux. The person asking has had a negative experience with gEDA and is looking for recommendations from others who have successfully used such software. They mention using Microcap on Windows but are hoping to find an equivalent for Linux. They mention possibly using WINE as a last resort. Another person suggests checking with their friend who used a small acer laptop with Linux and a free circuit simulator. They also mention several options available in the Fedora repositories.
maverick280857
Hi

Does someone have successful experience working with GNU/open source circuit simulation tools in Linux? I tried gEDA, but it did not work well for me.

If you've been successful in using such software, please write back with detailed experiences here. I use Microcap for my undergraduate circuits laboratory, and that's the only reason why I have to stick to Windows (I am a die hard Linux user otherwise). I was hoping to be able to use some equivalent of Microcap in Linux...

(Worst case: I'll use WINE :-p)

TIA.

Engineering news on Phys.org
maverick280857 said:
(Worst case: I'll use WINE :-p)

That would be a good idea, my friend had one of those really small acer laptops which came with linux on it. It also had a free circuit simulator on it. I'll ask him what its called and get back to you.

Fedora repos had gnucap, gspice & ngspice , irsim, Ktechlab, qucs --- which is pretty much what know of them.

Related to Any Recommendations for Circuit Simulation Tools in Linux?

1. What is circuit simulation in Linux?

Circuit simulation in Linux is the process of using software programs to simulate and analyze the behavior of electronic circuits on a Linux operating system. This allows scientists and engineers to design and test circuits without the need for physical prototypes, saving time and resources.

2. What are the benefits of using circuit simulation in Linux?

Using circuit simulation in Linux offers several benefits, including cost savings, faster design iterations, and the ability to analyze complex circuits that would be difficult or impossible to test in real life. It also allows for easy sharing and collaboration, as simulation results can be easily saved and shared with others.

3. What types of circuits can be simulated using Linux?

Linux-based circuit simulation programs are versatile and can simulate a wide range of circuits, from simple analog circuits to complex mixed-signal and digital circuits. They can also simulate different types of components, such as resistors, capacitors, transistors, and integrated circuits.

4. Is circuit simulation in Linux accurate?

Yes, circuit simulation in Linux is highly accurate and can produce results that closely match real-world circuit behavior. However, the accuracy of the simulation depends on the quality of the circuit model and the simulation settings used. It is important to carefully select and verify the components and parameters used in the simulation to ensure accurate results.

5. Are there any free circuit simulation programs available for Linux?

Yes, there are several free and open-source circuit simulation programs available for Linux, such as Qucs, Ngspice, and LTspice. These programs offer a wide range of features and can be used for both educational and professional purposes. Additionally, many commercial circuit simulation programs also have Linux versions available for purchase.