Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any technique to analise what is my product?

1. Oct 13, 2016 #1
    hi! i have some strange by-product, intermediate, or something... i prepared inorganic complex, and it is contaminated ith something (have problems with purification), when i measure platinum NMR, i can observe signal of my product (which should be yellow), but it is yellowish and white (or white-beige). How could i determine, what is inside, beside my product? could Electrospray measurement help me (ESI-MS)? as far as i know, it can tell you if you have some desired compound structure, but what if it is a mixture? is there any technique to analise what is my product?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2016 #2
    To separate the unknown, phoresis or elctrophoresis come to mind, also perhaps a centrfuge. Then analytic chemistry or a mass spectrometer for identification. Optical spectral transmission or fluorescence might give some clues, but not very likely. If you have a lot of resources available, perhaps X-ray crystallography (if the stuff will crystallize).

4. Oct 14, 2016 #3
    I need a little more details to answer your question. The more detailed it is, the more precise and suitable suggestions I can make.

1) I am assuming that you are making complex like Pt(CN)2 or something. How did you synthesize this? What reagents did you use? This gives me some ideas on what kind of impurity you ended up with.

2) What kind of purification did you try? How did it fail?

3) I am assuming it is soluble. You can also try DOSY NMR.

4) If the complex is assumed to be stable, you can also try column chromatography.

There are still a lot of question I want to ask, but I'll leave it at this. If you can't tell us here the details due to it being confidential, you can PM me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted