Anybody know anything about Wyse-60 Terminals and what to do with them?

• Thread starter tjfloyd.eet
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is discussing their discovery of several working Wyse-60 terminals at their workplace and their interest in finding more information on how to hook them up to a server. They suggest using an 8 (or 4 or 2) port RS232 serial card to create an octo-monitor system and mention the possibility of using escape code sequences for text and graphics. They also recommend making an RS232 cable to test the terminals with the help of the downloaded manual.
tjfloyd.eet
So, at work we have about 15 Wyse-60 terminals in storage. I took a couple of them home with me to find out that they still worked great. Now, I am wondering what to do with them and where I might can find more information on them. I downloaded the manual to it, but I would really like to know more on how I can hook it up to a server or something.

Computer science news on Phys.org
See if you can find an 8 (or 4 or possibly even just 2) port RS232 serial card and think of an application where you can use an octo-monitor system. You can't extend your desktop onto these but you can do text and even some graphics through the use of the escape code sequences that the monitors understand.

As a quick test, you can find or make an RS232 cable with appropriate connectors and wiring and connect one of the terminals to one of your RS232 ports on the back of your computer. That will let you start testing. You need to get baud rate, stop bits, handshake, etc all correct, but the manual you downloaded should help you with that.

Last edited:

1. What are Wyse-60 Terminals?

Wyse-60 Terminals are computer terminals that were produced by the Wyse Technology company in the 1980s. They were used as a way to access a mainframe or server remotely, and were popular in businesses and universities.

2. Do Wyse-60 Terminals still work?

Yes, Wyse-60 Terminals can still be used as long as they are connected to a compatible server or mainframe. However, they may not be compatible with newer systems and software.

3. What can I do with a Wyse-60 Terminal?

You can use a Wyse-60 Terminal to access a mainframe or server remotely, just like in the past. It can also be used as a vintage or retro computing experience, or as a display piece for collectors.

4. How do I connect a Wyse-60 Terminal to a server?

You will need a serial cable to connect the Wyse-60 Terminal to a server. The terminal should also be configured to match the settings of the server, such as baud rate, data bits, and parity.

5. Are there any modern alternatives to Wyse-60 Terminals?

Yes, there are several modern alternatives to Wyse-60 Terminals, such as thin clients or remote desktop software. These options offer similar remote access capabilities but with updated technology and compatibility with newer systems.