Anyone familiar with residue theory

In summary, residue theory is used when we have poles. For a pole of order 1 at z0=-1, you look at the limit of (z+1)f(z) as z->-1.
tilika123
from my understanding we use residue theory when we have poles.
The question i have is
if f(z) = 1/(1-Z^2) has two poles at 1, -1 each of order 1
then does
Res[f(z),-1] = lim as z -> -1 of (z+1)(f(z)) = -1/2

if we have a pole of order 1 then

Res[f(z),z0] = lim as z -> z0 of (z - z0)f(z)

or does
Res[f(z),-1] = lim as z -> -1 of (z+2)(f(z)) = undefined

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tilika123 said:
if we have a pole of order 1 then
Res[f(z),z0] = lim as z -> z0 of (z - z0)f(z)

This is correct. So for the residue of a pole of order one at z0=-1 you look at the limit of (z+1)f(z) as z->-1, which is what your professor appears to have done, though check the sign carefully.

tilika123 said:
or does
Res[f(z),-1] = lim as z -> -1 of (z+2)(f(z)) = undefined

Where did z+2 come from?

from the formula in the text it states (z-z0)(f(x)) so if zo = -1 and z = z+ 1 would that not = z+2

tilika123 said:
from the formula in the text it states (z-z0)(f(x)) so if zo = -1 and z = z+ 1 would that not = z+2

z=z+1? That ain't true. If z0=-1 then z-z0=z-(-1)=z+1.

remember the reside at z0 is the coefficient of 1/(z-z0) in the Laurent series at z0. A simple pole means

[tex]f(z)=\frac{a_{-1}}{z-z_0}+a_0+a_1 (z-z_0)^1+a_2 (z-z_0)^2+\ldots[/tex]

It's [tex]a_{-1}[/tex] you're after. Multiply f(z) by (z-z0) and let z->z0, poof the other terms vanish.

yes i just caught my mistake z is actually just a variable where z0 is where the pole is at

correct me if I am wrong but with residues at poles you don't actually have to use laurent series you could just use residue at poles formulas. I have not really gone over laurent series but it looks confusing.

sorry thanks for the help

tilika123 said:
correct me if I am wrong but with residues at poles you don't actually have to use laurent series you could just use residue at poles formulas.

That's correct, but understanding where these formulas come from is a good thing.

happy to help.

1. What is residue theory?

Residue theory is a branch of complex analysis that focuses on the calculation of complex integrals using the concept of residues. It is used to evaluate integrals that are difficult or impossible to solve by traditional methods.

2. How is residue theory applied in science?

Residue theory is widely used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to solve problems involving complex functions. It is particularly useful in the study of fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

3. What is a residue?

A residue is a complex number that represents the value of a complex function at a pole or singularity. It is used to evaluate complex integrals by taking into account the behavior of the function around the pole or singularity.

4. Are there any limitations to residue theory?

Like any mathematical tool, residue theory has its limitations. It can only be used to solve integrals with poles or singularities within the integration contour. It also requires a good understanding of complex functions and their properties.

5. Can residue theory be used in real-life applications?

Yes, residue theory has a wide range of real-life applications, such as in circuit analysis, signal processing, and fluid flow calculations. It is also used in the development of numerical methods for solving complex problems in science and engineering.