Anyone good with LaTeX (not the built in stuff)

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter FrogPad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation discusses using LaTeX to type a school document and the speaker is having trouble increasing the size of mathematical formulas. They also ask for advice on centering an image and express their appreciation for LaTeX. A solution to increase the size of mathematical formulas is to use a word processing program's font size changer, while to center an image, the \centering command can be used. It is suggested to use a specific TeX editor to change the math font instead of using Notepad.
FrogPad
Anyone good with LaTeX? (not the built in stuff (although its probably the same))

I'm trying to type a school document in [tex] \LaTeX [/tex] (using MikTeX) and everything is going pretty smooth except for a few things. How the hell do I increase the size of ALL mathematical formula.
I want all of the math in the document to become larger. So, for example if this: [tex] e^{ix}=\cos x + i \sin x [/tex] is the size in my document. How do I increase it to, let's say twice its size?
Also, if anyone knows how to center an image (I'm using the \includegraphics command) please let me know.
Thanks a billion!
Seriously [tex] \LaTeX [/tex] is awesome by the way. (on a side note) I'm hoping my skills in it will get good enough so I finally stop using Microsoft word... yuck :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well you probably have to use the word processing programs font size changer...

To center an image just use the \centering command. e.g.:

\begin{figure}
\centering
\includegraphics[scale = X]{ImageName}
\caption{sdsd}
\end{figure}

PS

Thanks primal :) that worked like a charm.

Pengwuino, I'm using notepad. Should I use a specific [tex] \TeX [/tex] editor to change the math font?

Related to Anyone good with LaTeX (not the built in stuff)

1. What is LaTeX and why is it useful for scientists?

LaTeX is a document preparation system that is widely used in academia, particularly in the fields of mathematics, computer science, and engineering. It allows for the creation of high-quality documents with advanced formatting and typesetting, making it ideal for writing scientific papers, reports, and presentations.

2. How is LaTeX different from other document preparation tools?

Unlike popular word processing software such as Microsoft Word, LaTeX uses a markup language to format documents. This means that rather than using a graphical interface, users write code that specifies the structure and formatting of the document. This allows for more precise control over the layout and appearance of the document.

3. Do I need to be an expert in coding to use LaTeX?

No, you don't need to be an expert in coding to use LaTeX. While some basic knowledge of coding is helpful, there are many resources available for beginners to learn the necessary commands and syntax. Additionally, most LaTeX editors have user-friendly interfaces that make it easier to create documents without extensive coding knowledge.

4. Can I use LaTeX for non-scientific documents?

Yes, although LaTeX is most commonly used for scientific and technical documents, it can be used for any type of document. It is especially useful for documents that require complex mathematical equations or symbols, but it can also be used for creating resumes, letters, and other types of documents.

5. Is LaTeX free to use?

Yes, LaTeX is free and open-source software, meaning it can be used and modified by anyone without cost. It is also widely supported by a large community of users who contribute to its development and provide helpful resources and support for beginners.