Anyone on here ever met or worked with a mad scientist?

• Thread starter Yayfordoritos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientist
In summary, there have been several famous scientists who have been considered "mad" or eccentric, such as Nikola Tesla and Isaac Newton. However, these cases may have been due to factors like mercury poisoning and overworking. While there may be some scientists who exhibit strange or anti-social behaviors, the majority are down to earth and cooperative professionals. There have also been some personal anecdotes about scientists who have caused accidents or explosions in their labs, but these instances are not representative of the entire scientific community. Overall, it is not fair to generalize all scientists as "mad" or eccentric based on a few examples.
Yayfordoritos
I'm just curious if scientist like that exist, or if it's just a hollywood thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you ask? Are you implying something? Just who are you working with anyway? Stop persecuting me!

No, but many people in science are weird, annoying, quirky, strange, or just completely anti-social.

We must know very different people in science.

He was pretty mad the day I spilled acid on his shoe. I didn't work with him very long though - hired and fired the same day.

MarneMath said:
We must know very different people in science.

Never said I met anyone like that, I just asked if people like that exist.

Never said that you said that.

In later life Tesla became something of a Mad Scientist. He veered off the beaten path and became more and more of a crackpot.

Newton seems to have had a couple bouts of complete craziness. These may well have been due to mercury poisoning from his alchemical researches.

However, I never personally met either of them.

The last conversation I had with a scientist (a few hours ago) was about: Emerson, Lake, and Palmer; Days of Future Passed by the Moody Blues.

I have. Two guys, one had a mechanical engineering degree, claimed they had an overunity device. The other guy I have no idea if he had any education. They wanted to generate power and sell back to the grid. I suspect the mech engineer was being played, but I never could figure out for what reason. As far as I know the thing never got off the ground. I know they were not just pulling my leg about their efforts because I have seen the machine or parts of it. It's a long time ago, like 20 years or more. I played along because I wanted to be taken into their confidence. I remember it was some kind of rotary device and recall seeing a full sheet of plywood loaded with 100 watt light bulbs for testing. There were probably over a hundred of them. All I could ever get out of them was that the key was to create an energy void. The device supposedly had a cooling effect on the environment. The one guy disappeared, the mech engineer still lives in the area. Mad scientist or con-man? You tell me.

Yayfordoritos said:
I'm just curious if scientist like that exist, or if it's just a hollywood thing.

I had a friend whose thesis advisor went insane. Kurt Godel was of rather dubious sanity. It seems to be an occupational hazard for logicians and mathematicians in general. Wolfgang Pauli had some serious mental difficulties and was cured by CG Jung.

Applied sciences are more down to earth.

BobG said:
...hired and fired the same day.

You or him?

gravenewworld said:
No, but many people in science are weird, annoying, quirky, strange, or just completely anti-social.

I sort of disagree. Perhaps the numbers of these sorts are a bit higher than the general population, but I think a much larger number of professional scientists are very down to earth, sociable, cooperative people.

All claims in this post are purely anecdotal. Your experience may vary. I am in no way responsible for your dealings with weird, annoying, quirky, strange, anti-social, or even mad scientists.

I've met:

3 peeved scientists

12 irked scientists

2 irate scientists

5 incensed scientists

but no mad scientists

One of my uni friends was legendary for his ability to create havoc with lab experiments. Not to mention the time he blocked the river through the town, when the 100-year-old steam powered boat that he was restoring exploded on its maiden voyage.

He decided that blowing things up was obviously he speciality, and went to work for an offshore gas exploration company.

I've met up with him by chance a few times since college days - the 150 decibel high pitched voice and manic laughs are still easy to recognize at long range!

There was another biologist college friend who became a legend in his own final practical exam. This involved electrical stimulation of a (humanely killed) rabbit. About half an hour into the exam, there was a flash and a bang and the lab filled with the smell of singed fur. After which, he picked up the still smouldering rabbit by the ears, marched the length of the lab to the invigilator's desk, banged the charred remains down on the desk, and announced in a loud voice, "THIS RABBIT IS DEFECTIVE"...

AlephZero said:
"THIS RABBIT IS DEFECTIVE"...
Lol!

AlephZero said:
One of my uni friends was legendary for his ability to create havoc with lab experiments. Not to mention the time he blocked the river through the town, when the 100-year-old steam powered boat that he was restoring exploded on its maiden voyage.

He decided that blowing things up was obviously he speciality, and went to work for an offshore gas exploration company.
The BP Deepwater Horizon rig I presume?

Garth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2iMES08D44

00:53

collinsmark said:
Some of these guys are pretty mad.
http://www.shadycrypt.com

Hmm, they don't seem crazy enough. Except for the skeleton thing.

Well, my classmate told me that he considers dumping his gf, moving his stuff to a lab, and start living there. But he is a mathematician, so I guess that's normal for him.

zoobyshoe said:
In later life Tesla became something of a Mad Scientist. He veered off the beaten path and became more and more of a crackpot.

Newton seems to have had a couple bouts of complete craziness. These may well have been due to mercury poisoning from his alchemical researches.

However, I never personally met either of them.

I didn't check how accurate this is, but interesting article: http://amasci.com/tesla/teslabad.html

1. What is a mad scientist?

A mad scientist is a fictional character often portrayed in science fiction and horror stories as a brilliant but eccentric and unstable scientist who conducts experiments that are unethical or dangerous. They are often driven by a desire for power or knowledge, and their actions can have disastrous consequences.

2. How do you become a mad scientist?

Becoming a mad scientist is not a realistic career path. It is a fictional trope used in storytelling. However, in real life, scientists can become so obsessed with their research that they neglect ethical considerations or personal well-being, which may lead to behavior resembling that of a mad scientist.

3. Are there any real-life examples of mad scientists?

There have been cases of scientists who have conducted unethical or dangerous experiments, but they are not typically referred to as "mad scientists." One example is Dr. Josef Mengele, a Nazi scientist who performed cruel experiments on prisoners during World War II.

4. What are some common traits of a mad scientist?

Some common traits of a mad scientist in fiction include intelligence, eccentricity, obsession, and a disregard for ethical boundaries. They are often portrayed as solitary and isolated, with a lack of empathy for others.

5. How can we prevent someone from becoming a mad scientist?

As mentioned before, becoming a mad scientist is not a realistic concern. However, scientists can avoid falling into unethical or dangerous practices by adhering to ethical guidelines, seeking input and advice from colleagues, and maintaining a healthy work-life balance. It is also essential to recognize signs of obsession or mental instability in oneself or others and seek help if necessary.