Calculating Total Energy and Speed of a Ball on a Thread

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a solid rubber ball attached to a light thread and swung in a vertical circle. The total energy of the ball is constant, and the speed at the top of the circle is given. The conversation covers determining the total energy, speed at the lowest point of the circle, tension of the thread at different points, and the horizontal distance the ball travels before hitting the floor. The relevant equations mentioned are for gravitational potential energy, kinetic energy, centripetal force, and kinematics.
Baumeister41
I need with a problem...A 0.10 kilogram solid rubber ball is attached to the end of an 0.0 meter length of light thread. The ball is swung in a vertical circle. point P, the lowest point of the circle, is 0.20 meter above the floor. The speed of the ball at the top of the circle is 6.0 meters per second, and the total energy is kept constant.
a)Determine the total energy of the ball, using the floor as the zero point for gravitational potential energy.

b)Determine the speed of the ball at point P, the lowest point of the circle

c)Determine the tension of the thread at...
i. the top of the circle
ii. the bottom of the circle

The ball only reaches the top of the circle once before the thread breaks when the bal is at the lowest point of the circle.
d)Determine the horizontal distance that the ball travels before hitting the floor

I'm not sure where to begin.

If anyone can help me it would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
The length of the thread is 0.0 m?

You must show some work in the Homework forums. Can you think of anything useful in approaching this problem (relevant equations, etc)?

Last edited:
sry.im new to all of this stuff. the length of thread is 0.80 meters. well for part A i was Thinking PE=m*g*h because it said Potential energy. I get . Part B i think you do .5*m*v^2 = mgh and solve for the velocity. The for C the tension at the top is 0 or (m*g), not to sure on that one. D i can figure out using a kinematic equation

For a), you do need to consider the gravitational potential energy. But the ball is moving, so you need to consider the kinetic energy as well to get the total energy.

For b), since the energy remains constant, the energy at the top of the circle must equal the energy at the bottom of the circle. Since the ball is now closer to the floor, the relation between the potential and kinetic energies change. So just write out the terms for each.

For c), use the idea of a centripetal force with Newton's second law.

For d), yes, you can use kinematics to find the distance.

thank you very much. that was very helpful

FAQ: Calculating Total Energy and Speed of a Ball on a Thread

What is the formula for calculating total energy of a ball on a thread?

The formula for calculating total energy of a ball on a thread is: Total energy = Kinetic energy + Potential energy. Kinetic energy can be calculated using the formula: KE = 0.5 * mass * velocity squared. Potential energy can be calculated using the formula: PE = mass * gravity * height.

How do you calculate the speed of a ball on a thread?

The speed of a ball on a thread can be calculated using the formula: speed = distance / time. The distance can be measured by the length of the thread, and the time can be measured by the number of seconds it takes for the ball to complete one full rotation.

What is the significance of calculating total energy and speed of a ball on a thread?

Calculating total energy and speed of a ball on a thread can help us understand the motion and forces acting on the ball. It can also help us determine the stability and equilibrium of the system.

How does the mass of the ball affect the total energy and speed?

The mass of the ball directly affects the total energy and speed. As the mass increases, the total energy and speed will also increase. This is because the kinetic energy is directly proportional to the mass, and the potential energy is indirectly proportional to the mass.

What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating total energy and speed?

The accuracy of calculating total energy and speed can be affected by factors such as air resistance, friction, and human error in measuring time and distance. It is important to minimize these factors as much as possible to obtain more accurate results.

Back