AP Programs: Calculus BC, Trig, and AP Biology/English

In summary, the speaker has questions about AP Programs and is unsure about taking Calculus BC due to a prerequisite. They are also asking about others' experiences with AP Biology and AP English courses. Responses include the suggestion to take AP Calc BC for college credit, the recommendation to take AP Biology for a more in-depth understanding, and the positive experience of taking AP English Language/Lit and receiving college credit. The speaker also suggests studying the extra material for Calc BC outside of class.
Dooga Blackrazor
I have a some questions about AP Programs that I'm hoping someone can answer.

Unfortanately I didn't know there was a separate Math class designed to work towards taking Calculus BC. I've always been good at Math but the teacher won't let me take BC unless I get a prerequisite which isn't possible to get in time to take Calc BC. She stated that I'd need to find another teacher with free time to help me get the credit for a Trig course - but it is unrealistic to expect a teacher to teach me a course on their own time. Am I missing out on much by having to take Calculus AB instead?

Also, has anyone taken AP Biology? Was it a worthwhile experience? - The same question towards both AP English courses.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you miss out on a lot of material on series. But you can leave that for college...

Answers to your questions in order:
-You're not missing out on much content-wise but most colleges will give you credit for calculus I and II by taking Calc BC and getting a 4 or better. Saves you 4 hours a week in college for a semester
-I didn't take AP Biology but I got credit for the exam through self-study. You really don't learn much different from Biology I than from the AP course but there's more depth.
-I would recommend taking AP English Language/Lit. Before I took the classes I really thought I was inept at writing and maybe I was beforehand but afterwards I was able to easily write *coherent* impromptu 3-page essays on poems. Anyway I ended up with 5's on both exams and got out of 14 credits in college. For an engineer such as myself that means I had to take no english courses! (I may be good at English now but that doesn't mean I like to read/write at all) It was definitely worth it.

If the lost material really bothers you, you could just study up on the extra material in the BC later in the year instead of trying to cram a class into a few weeks.

--J

I'm taking AP Calc AB right now, so I can't answer your first question. I did, however, take AP Biology last year, and the only difference between it and regular biology is it gets more in depth. In regular bio, they will call something an "enzyme". In AP Bio, they will tell you the name of the enzyme. Also, the study of processes is more in depth. If you liked your regular biology class, I recommend taking it. I am also currently taking AP English Literature. I like it a lot, because we read some great books (just got done with the Iliad). But I guess that would vary depending on your teacher, so do a little research.

1. What is the difference between AP Calculus BC and AP Calculus AB?

AP Calculus BC is an advanced placement course that covers the same material as AP Calculus AB but in greater depth and with a faster pace. It also includes additional topics such as parametric, polar, and vector functions, and series. Students who take AP Calculus BC are typically more prepared for college-level math courses and may receive college credit for their AP exam score.

2. What is the purpose of taking AP Trigonometry?

AP Trigonometry is not a separate AP course, but rather a part of the AP Calculus BC curriculum. It provides students with a deeper understanding of trigonometric functions, identities, and their applications. This knowledge is essential for success in calculus and other advanced math courses.

3. How does AP Biology differ from a regular high school biology course?

AP Biology is an advanced placement course that covers the same material as a regular high school biology course but in greater depth and with a faster pace. It also includes additional topics such as biochemistry, genetics, and evolution. Students who take AP Biology are typically more prepared for college-level biology courses and may receive college credit for their AP exam score.

4. Can I take AP Biology without taking AP Chemistry first?

While there are no official prerequisites for taking AP Biology, it is highly recommended that students have a strong foundation in chemistry before enrolling in the course. Many of the concepts in AP Biology build upon those learned in AP Chemistry, and a solid understanding of chemistry is essential for success in the course.

5. How can I prepare for AP English exams?

The best way to prepare for AP English exams is to practice reading and analyzing various types of literature, including poetry, prose, and drama. It is also important to practice writing essays that analyze and interpret literary works. Familiarizing yourself with the AP English exam format and reviewing past prompts and sample essays can also be helpful in preparing for the exam.