Aperture Stops, Entrance Pupils & Exit Pupils

• Thread starter toam
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves an optics question regarding a lens, aperture, and object. The lens is determined to be the aperture stop, meaning the aperture does not limit incoming light. This also makes the lens the entrance and exit pupil, rendering the aperture redundant. This situation is acceptable and can be found in "Fundamentals of Optics" by Jenkins and White.
toam
I'm doing an assignment involving an optics question.

There is a lens (diameter 4cm, focal length 5cm) an apeture (diameter 5cm, position 2cm in front of lens) and an object (1.5cm high, 8cm in front of lens).

Now I have determined that the lens is the aperture stop. Now, because the lens is the aperture stop the aperture does not limit the incoming light at all and this leads me to believe that the lens is the entrance pupil. Since the lens is the entrance pupil the lens must also be the exit pupil since it can't make an image of itself.

Is this an acceptable situation to have? I assume it is because it makes the aperture completely redundant and unnecessary and therefore is equivilent to the same system without an aperture, but I can't find any examples in books or lecture notes where this occurs...

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct in your reasoning. See the section on Front Stops in "Fundamentals of Optics" by Jenkins and White.

I can confirm that this is indeed an acceptable situation to have. The lens being the aperture stop means that it controls the amount of light entering the system, and since it is the only element in the system, it also acts as both the entrance and exit pupil. This is a common occurrence in optical systems, especially in simple ones like the one described in your assignment.

Having the lens act as both the entrance and exit pupil does make the aperture redundant, but it does not make it unnecessary. The aperture still plays a role in controlling the depth of field and the amount of aberrations in the image. Additionally, having a larger aperture can also improve the overall image quality by allowing more light to enter the system.

While it may be difficult to find specific examples of this exact situation in books or lecture notes, it is a common concept in optics and is often used in basic optical systems. It is important to understand the role of the aperture stop, entrance pupil, and exit pupil in order to properly design and analyze optical systems. I hope this helps with your assignment.

Related to Aperture Stops, Entrance Pupils & Exit Pupils

1. What is an aperture stop?

An aperture stop is a physical barrier that controls the amount of light that enters a camera or optical system. It is typically a circular opening that can be adjusted to vary the size of the entrance pupil.

2. What is an entrance pupil?

The entrance pupil is the image of the aperture stop as seen through the front of the lens or optical system. It is the point where all the light rays entering the system converge.

3. How does the size of the entrance pupil affect image quality?

The size of the entrance pupil determines the amount of light that enters the system, which in turn affects the exposure and depth of field of the image. A larger entrance pupil allows more light to enter, resulting in a brighter image, while a smaller entrance pupil decreases the amount of light and can lead to a darker image. The size of the entrance pupil also affects the sharpness and clarity of the image, with a smaller entrance pupil producing a sharper image due to a larger depth of field.

4. What is an exit pupil?

The exit pupil is the image of the entrance pupil as seen through the eyepiece or viewfinder of a camera or optical system. It is the point where all the light rays exiting the system converge. The size of the exit pupil is determined by the magnification of the eyepiece and the distance between the eyepiece and the exit pupil.

5. How do aperture stops, entrance pupils, and exit pupils work together?

Aperture stops, entrance pupils, and exit pupils work together to control the amount of light that enters and exits an optical system. The size of the aperture stop determines the size of the entrance pupil, which in turn affects the amount of light that enters the system and the depth of field of the image. The size of the exit pupil is determined by the magnification of the eyepiece and the distance between the eyepiece and the exit pupil. Together, these components help to create a well-exposed and clear image.