1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Apostol's Calculus Vol. II Question on Gradients

1. Aug 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If [tex]\nabla f(x,y,z)[/tex] is always parallel to [tex]x \hat i + y \hat j + z \hat k[/tex], show that f must assume equal values at the points (0,0,a) and (0,0,-a).

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried a number of things - inspecting the values arrived at when computing the cross product of the gradient and the position vector, writing [tex]r(t)=(0,0,t)[/tex] and then integrating [tex]\nabla f(r(t))\cdot r'(t)[/tex] from -a to a, nothing is getting me anywhere. I also found this old thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=165790 but I don't see what Mathgician is getting at. In particular, f(0,0,a)-f(0,0,-a) is not necessarily equal to -2ak as the poster mentions toward the bottom.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at the path integral of grad(f) along a circle connecting (0,0,a) and (0,0,-a).

4. Aug 19, 2012 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If ##f_x = \lambda x,\ f_y=\lambda y,\ f_z=\lambda z## can't you derive what ##f(x,y,z)## must be by taking anti-partial derivatives?

5. Aug 19, 2012 #4
    Unfortunately we have not covered path integrals yet. Thanks though!

6. Aug 19, 2012 #5
    I have no reason to think that ##\nabla f(x,y,z)=\lambda(x,y,z)## - although I could solve this if I could assume that. The conditions, as far as I can tell, just say that for some scalar field ##h## we have that ##\nabla f(x,y,z) = [h(x,y,z)](x,y,z)##. In particular, I tried this approach: Let ##r(t)=(0,0,t)##. Then let ##g(t)=f[r(t)]##, so ##g'(t)=\nabla f [r(t)] \cdot r'(t)##. Now consider [tex]\int_{-a}^a \nabla f[r(t)]\cdot r'(t) dt[/tex]. Now since the gradient is parallel to the position we have ##\nabla f (0,0,t) = (0,0,h(t) t)##, and since ##r'(t)=(0,0,1)## our integral is just [tex]\int_{-a}^a h(t) t dt[/tex]. If ##h(t)## is even, the result follows. It may still be possible if ##h(t)## is not even, however note that ##h(t)## cannot be odd (which is an interesting result as well... I think anyway).

I doubt, however, that this was the intended direction for the proof to take... and since I can't prove that there's any other reason to think that ##h(t)## should be even, it's not conclusive. On the other hand, if someone comes up with a way to have ##\nabla f(x,y,z)= [h(x,y,z)](x,y,z)## where the function ##h## is odd with respect to ##z##, that would indicate that I have over-generalized the intended problem, and it probably is only intended to be ##\nabla f(x,y,z) = \lambda (x,y,z)##.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  7. Aug 19, 2012 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh, OK. I misunderstood the problem. I may have time to look at it some more tomorrow.

8. Aug 19, 2012 #7
    Thanks!

9. Aug 20, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That IS a path integral. Now try changing the path to say r(t)=(0,a*sin(t),a*cos(t)) for t in [0,pi].

10. Aug 20, 2012 #9
    Awesome - the book doesn't cover path integrals explicitly for two more chapters, good to know they aren't much different than what I already have covered. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook