Solving Two Physics Problems: Weighing Rocks and Steel Barbells

In summary, The geologist is trying to find the fraction of a rock specimen's apparent volume that is solid by weighing it in air and in water. The density of the solid part of the specimen is known. The second problem involves finding the force needed to lift a steel barbell underwater, using the principles of Archimedes. The equations for buoyant force and mass are mentioned, but further information is needed to solve the problems.
SnowOwl18
Alright, these two problems are driving me nuts:

1. ---To verify her suspicion that a rock specimen is hollow, a geologist weighs the specimen in air and in water. She finds that the specimen weighs twice as much in air as it does in water. The solid part of the specimen has a density of 5.10×103kg/m3. What fraction of the specimen's apparent volume is solid?----

I think that this involves Archimede's Principle because she floats the rock in water to find displacement... the equation is (magnitude of buoyant force)= (weight of displaced fluid) ...but I don't see how I can use that equation..

Also this problem:
----A bodybuilder is holding a 29.9kg steel barbell above her head. How much force would she have to exert if the barbell were lifted underwater?---

It doesn't seem like much information to work with...maybe i'd need to use archimede's principle here as well, to find the weight displacement...but again, I'm not sure how to do that.

Thanks for any help on these problems :)

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: The mass of an object is the product of its density and volume.

hmm so mass= density x volume. For the first problem I know the density and that the weight in air is twice that of in water...how do I use that equation if I don't actually know the mass though? Thanks for you're help so far :)

Does this help?

[tex]Submerged \ Weight = Dry \ Weight - \rho_{water} \ g Volume_{hollow}[/tex]

[tex]Dry \ Weight = \rho_{rock} \ g \ Volume_{rock}[/tex]

1. How do you determine the weight of a rock?

The weight of a rock can be determined using a scale or balance. First, place the rock on one side of the scale and counterbalance it with known weights on the other side. The weight of the rock can then be calculated by adding up the weights on the other side.

2. Why is it important to know the weight of a rock?

Knowing the weight of a rock is important for various reasons. It can help in construction and engineering projects to determine the strength and stability of structures. It can also be used in geological studies to understand the composition and properties of different types of rocks.

3. How do you account for the weight of the container when weighing a rock?

To account for the weight of the container, the weight of an empty container should first be measured and subtracted from the total weight of the rock and container. This will give the weight of the rock without the container.

4. How can you differentiate the weight of a steel barbell from that of a rock?

The weight of a steel barbell can be differentiated from that of a rock by using a magnet. Steel is magnetic, so if the barbell is attracted to the magnet, it is likely made of steel. Rocks, on the other hand, are not magnetic and will not be attracted to the magnet.

5. Can the weight of a rock change?

The weight of a rock can change if its mass changes. For example, if a rock is broken into smaller pieces or if it undergoes a chemical reaction that changes its composition, its weight will also change. However, the weight of a rock will remain constant as long as its mass remains the same.