Apparent wavelength in Doppler's effect

• Thread starter Krushnaraj Pandya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelength
In summary, an observer moving at towards a stationary source of sound will see a shorter wavelength because the sound is propagating at a different speed.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

a source of sound of frequency f emits sound with speed v, is at rest. If an observer is moving at towards source with speed u, then wavelength of sound waves observed by the observer will be?

Homework Equations

f' = f(u+v)/u...(i) f' is apparent frequency, f is the real frequency
fλ=v...(ii) for any wave frequency into wavelength is speed.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to get an answer manipulating the above two equations but the answer says its simply v/f without any change whatsoever- This doesn't seem correct though. I'd appreciate some help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show one of your attempts to manipulate the equations? Explain in advance what the variables represent.

gneill said:
Can you show one of your attempts to manipulate the equations? Explain in advance what the variables represent.
I edited it to show what the symbols represent. There isn't any point trying to manipulate these equations further though since the answer already says its wrong to have u in the answer

Krushnaraj Pandya said:

Homework Statement

a source of sound of frequency f emits sound with speed v is at rest. If an observer is moving at towards source with speed v, then wavelength of sound waves observed by the observer will be?

Homework Equations

f' = f(u+v)/u...(i)
fλ=v...(ii)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to get an answer manipulating the above two equations but the answer says its simply v/f without any change whatsoever- This doesn't seem correct though. I'd appreciate some help.

Imagine a train with carriers, each of length L. You stand on the platform and see the carriers passing by. You see more carriers passing in the same time if you walk in opposite direction as the train travels, but does the length of the carriers change? According to Relativity Theory, it does, but this effect is significant only at speeds comparable to the speed of light.

ehild said:
Imagine a train with carriers, each of length L. You stand on the platform and see the carriers passing by. You see more carriers passing in the same time if you walk in opposite direction as the train travels, but does the length of the carriers change? According to Relativity Theory, it does, but this effect is significant only at speeds comparable to the speed of light.
Wonderful example! Its crystal clear now, Thank you very much :D

gneill said:
Why would you have u in the answer? You need to plug in your given information. Both speeds are "v". Wait! You've edited the original problem so that now the sound is no longer propagating at the same speed as the observer. It a different problem now.

You should re-edit your post to restore the original problem statement.
Yeah, that's my mistake, Its 2 am here and I chose symbols arbitrarily while I was half asleep. Then while editing it to write the meaning to the symbols I noticed my blunder and corrected it. Really sorry about that, I really appreciate your help though :D

No problem. Get some sleep! :smile:

Likes Krushnaraj Pandya
gneill said:
No problem. Get some sleep! :smile:
Can't afford any, Jee's in 20 days. Although I have the benefit of living in India, and thus knowing how to meditate deeply- so I'm getting by with 5 hours of sleep or so.

1. What is the apparent wavelength in Doppler's effect?

The apparent wavelength in Doppler's effect refers to the perceived change in the wavelength of a wave due to the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer.

2. How is the apparent wavelength calculated?

The apparent wavelength is calculated by multiplying the actual wavelength of the wave by the ratio of the speed of the wave in the medium to the relative speed between the source and observer.

3. What factors affect the apparent wavelength in Doppler's effect?

The apparent wavelength is affected by the relative speed between the source and observer, the speed of the wave in the medium, and the angle between the direction of motion and the direction of the wave.

4. How does the apparent wavelength change when the source and observer are moving towards each other?

When the source and observer are moving towards each other, the apparent wavelength decreases. This is because the relative speed between them is higher, causing a higher frequency and shorter wavelength to be perceived.

5. Is the apparent wavelength affected by the frequency of the wave?

Yes, the apparent wavelength is directly proportional to the frequency of the wave. This means that as the frequency of the wave increases, the apparent wavelength also increases, and vice versa.