Proving the Range of a Polynomial Function Using Set Theory

In summary, the given polynomial function f(x) = x^2 + x + 2 has a minimum value of 7/4 and a range of [7/4, +∞). By plugging in a value of -1/2 for x, we can prove that the minimum value is indeed 7/4.
mtayab1994
Polynomial Function.

Homework Statement

f:ℝ→ℝ
x→x^2+x+2

Homework Equations

Prove that: f(ℝ)=[7/4,+∞[

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I don't know how answer this, so can someone give me a clue on how to start it off?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the minimum value of x2+x+1?

the minimum value for x^2+x+1 is obviously 1

If x=-1/2, [itex]x^2+ x+ 1= 1/4- 1/2+ 1= 3/4[/itex]. Try thinking before reacting!

HallsofIvy said:
If x=-1/2, [itex]x^2+ x+ 1= 1/4- 1/2+ 1= 3/4[/itex]. Try thinking before reacting!

Yea thanks for the tip i already tried it out yesterday and i figured it out.

Once i stated that x=-1/2 then i get x^+x+2=7/4

Related to Proving the Range of a Polynomial Function Using Set Theory

1. What is an application of set theory?

An application of set theory is the study of collections of objects, called sets, and the relationships between them. Set theory has many practical applications in fields such as mathematics, computer science, and statistics.

2. How is set theory used in mathematics?

Set theory is the foundation of mathematics and is used to define other mathematical concepts such as functions, numbers, and algebraic structures. It also provides a framework for understanding and proving mathematical theorems.

3. What is the role of set theory in computer science?

In computer science, set theory is used to model data structures and algorithms. Sets are used to represent collections of data, and operations on sets such as union, intersection, and complement are essential in database systems and programming languages.

4. How does set theory relate to statistics?

Set theory is used in statistics to define the sample space, which is the set of all possible outcomes for a given experiment. It also forms the basis for probability theory, which is essential in statistical analysis and decision-making.

5. Can you give an example of an application of set theory?

One example of an application of set theory is in network theory, where sets are used to represent nodes and edges in a network. This allows for the analysis and optimization of complex systems such as social networks, transportation networks, and computer networks.