1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Application of derivatives to geometry

1. Jan 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Of all cylinders inscribed in sphere of radius [itex]R[/itex] largest area of side([itex]M[/itex]) has cylinder which hight is [itex]R\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Prove.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand how to prove this i only have problem with derivative:

[itex]M=2*r*Pi*H[/itex] and [itex]r=\frac{\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}}{2}[/itex]

[itex]M=Pi*H*\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}[/itex]

[itex]M^{'}=Pi*(\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}) + \frac{Pi*H}{2*\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}}[/itex]

Then
    [itex]M^{'}=Pi*\frac{8R^2 -2H^2 + H}{2\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}}[/itex] so how can i from this get that [itex]R*\sqrt{2} = H[/itex]

My textbook says that [itex]M^{'}=Pi*\frac{4R^2 -2H^2}{\sqrt{(4R)^2 - H^2}}[/itex] therefore [itex]R*\sqrt{2} = H[/itex]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your differentiation is wrong. You need to use the chain rule when you find the derivative of the second factor in your product rule.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  4. Jan 13, 2013 #3
    So [itex]M^{'}=Pi*(\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}) + \frac{Pi*H}{2*\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}}*(8R -2H)[/itex]

[itex]M^{'}=Pi*(\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}) + \frac{Pi*H*(4R - H)}{\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}}[/itex]

[itex]M^{'}=Pi*((\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}) + \frac{H*(4R - H)}{\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}})[/itex]

[itex]M^{'}=Pi*((\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}) + \frac{H*(4R - H)}{\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}})[/itex]

[itex]M^{'}=Pi*(\frac{(4R^2 + 4RH - 2H^2)}{\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}})[/itex]

This time 4RH is making me a problem i feel like there is a better way to factor out this expression

5. Jan 13, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The derivative of (2R)^2-H^2 is just -2H. R is a constant!

6. Jan 13, 2013 #5
    :cry::cry: I can't believe it. I spent almost 2 hours on this silly problem because of silly mistakes. Thank you.:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook