Application of derivatives to geometry

In summary, the goal is to prove that the cylinder with a height of R\sqrt{2} has the largest area of side (M) when inscribed in a sphere of radius R. To prove this, we need to find the derivative of M with respect to H, which involves using the chain rule. After correcting some mistakes, we get M^{'}=Pi*(\frac{(4R^2 + 4RH - 2H^2)}{\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}}). By factoring out the expression 4R^2+4RH-2H^2, we can see that R\sqrt{2}=H, which proves our original statement.
Government$

Homework Statement

Of all cylinders inscribed in sphere of radius [itex]R[/itex] largest area of side([itex]M[/itex]) has cylinder which hight is [itex]R\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Prove.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to prove this i only have problem with derivative:

[itex]M=2*r*Pi*H[/itex] and [itex]r=\frac{\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}}{2}[/itex]

[itex]M=Pi*H*\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}[/itex]

[itex]M^{'}=Pi*(\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}) + \frac{Pi*H}{2*\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}}[/itex]

Then
[itex]M^{'}=Pi*\frac{8R^2 -2H^2 + H}{2\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}}[/itex] so how can i from this get that [itex]R*\sqrt{2} = H[/itex]

My textbook says that [itex]M^{'}=Pi*\frac{4R^2 -2H^2}{\sqrt{(4R)^2 - H^2}}[/itex] therefore [itex]R*\sqrt{2} = H[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Government$ said:

Homework Statement

Of all cylinders inscribed in sphere of radius [itex]R[/itex] largest area of side([itex]M[/itex]) has cylinder which hight is [itex]R\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Prove.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to prove this i only have problem with derivative:

[itex]M=2*r*Pi*H[/itex] and [itex]r=\frac{\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}}{2}[/itex]

[itex]M=Pi*H*\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}[/itex]

[itex]M^{'}=Pi*(\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}) + \frac{Pi*H}{2*\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}}[/itex]

Then
[itex]M^{'}=Pi*\frac{8R^2 -2H^2 + H}{2\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}}[/itex] so how can i from this get that [itex]R*\sqrt{2} = H[/itex]

My textbook says that [itex]M^{'}=Pi*\frac{4R^2 -2H^2}{\sqrt{(4R)^2 - H^2}}[/itex] therefore [itex]R*\sqrt{2} = H[/itex]

Your differentiation is wrong. You need to use the chain rule when you find the derivative of the second factor in your product rule.

Last edited:
So [itex]M^{'}=Pi*(\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}) + \frac{Pi*H}{2*\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}}*(8R -2H)[/itex]

[itex]M^{'}=Pi*(\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}) + \frac{Pi*H*(4R - H)}{\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}}[/itex]

[itex]M^{'}=Pi*((\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}) + \frac{H*(4R - H)}{\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}})[/itex]

[itex]M^{'}=Pi*((\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}) + \frac{H*(4R - H)}{\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}})[/itex]

[itex]M^{'}=Pi*(\frac{(4R^2 + 4RH - 2H^2)}{\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}})[/itex]

This time 4RH is making me a problem i feel like there is a better way to factor out this expression

Government$ said:
So [itex]M^{'}=Pi*(\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}) + \frac{Pi*H}{2*\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}}*(8R -2H)[/itex]

[itex]M^{'}=Pi*(\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}) + \frac{Pi*H*(4R - H)}{\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}}[/itex]

[itex]M^{'}=Pi*(\frac{(4R^2 + 4RH - 2H^2)}{\sqrt{(2R)^2 - H^2}})[/itex]

This time 4RH is making me a problem i feel like there is a better way to factor out this expression

The derivative of (2R)^2-H^2 is just -2H. R is a constant!

:cry::cry: I can't believe it. I spent almost 2 hours on this silly problem because of silly mistakes. Thank you.:smile:

Related to Application of derivatives to geometry

1. What is the definition of a derivative in terms of geometry?

A derivative in terms of geometry represents the rate of change of a geometric function with respect to its independent variable. It measures how much the function changes at a specific point on its graph.

2. How are derivatives used to find the slope of a curve?

Derivatives are used to find the slope of a curve by calculating the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the curve. This is done by finding the derivative of the function at that point.

3. Can derivatives be used to find the maximum or minimum value of a geometric function?

Yes, derivatives can be used to find the maximum or minimum value of a geometric function. This is because the derivative of a function is equal to zero at these points, so by finding the zeros of the derivative, we can determine the maximum or minimum value of the function.

4. How do derivatives help in solving optimization problems in geometry?

Derivatives are essential in solving optimization problems in geometry. They help us find the maximum or minimum value of a function, which is often the goal in optimization problems. By using the derivative to locate critical points and then evaluating the function at these points, we can determine the optimal solution.

5. Are there any real-life applications of derivatives in geometry?

Yes, derivatives have many real-life applications in geometry. They are used in engineering, physics, and other fields to model and solve problems involving rates of change and optimization. For example, derivatives are used to design roller coasters, determine the maximum speed of a car on a curve, and create efficient flight paths for airplanes.