1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Application of Integration- help!

1. Apr 27, 2010 #1
    1. Let f be the function given by f(x) = ex + 1, where the region R is bounded by the graph of f(x), the y-axis, and the horizontal line y=4.

2. Relevant equations
    a. Find the area of region R.
    b. A vertical line x=h, where h>o is chosen so that the area of the region bounded by f(x), the y-axis, the horizontal line y=4, and the line x=h is half the area of the region R. What is the value of h?
    c. Find the volume of the solid formed when region R is rotated about the line y=4.
    d. A horizontal line y=k, where k is greater than 4 is chosen so that the volume of the solid formed when region R is rotated about the line y=k is twice the volume of the solid found in part (c). Set up, but do not evaluate, an integral expression in terms of a single independent variable which represents the volume of this solid.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found part a and b..
    a.) 1.296
    b.) h=.361

I'm drawing a blank about c, when I draw the graph reflected about y=4, would it be illogical to simply multiply the area given in (a) by 2?
    And I can't move on without being sure of c.. so that is where I am, haha.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2010 #2
    No it would not be logical. If you multiply an area by two it is still an area, not a volume. Do you know how to find the volume?

4. Apr 27, 2010 #3
    In this case, is it.. volume of a sphere? Or half a sphere?

5. Apr 27, 2010 #4
    No. I'm assuming you have drawn the function and found the region (if not do so). Imagine rotating the region around y = 4. To me it looks more like half of a football.

6. Apr 27, 2010 #5
  7. Apr 27, 2010 #6
    It doesn't ring a bell at all..yes I drew the graph, and rotated about y=4. The first impression I got was a semicircle, but I realize what you're saying about an oval-like shape, which completely disproved my sphere theory haha

8. Apr 27, 2010 #7
    If this has anything to do with cross sections, then I am in desperate need of help (I could never grasp it)

9. Apr 27, 2010 #8
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook