Application of Integration- help

In summary: When you rotate a region around y = 4 you are actually imagining flipping it over so that the y-axis is now the x-axis. This will make the region R look like a semicircle.
skylit
1. Let f be the function given by f(x) = ex + 1, where the region R is bounded by the graph of f(x), the y-axis, and the horizontal line y=4.

Homework Equations

a. Find the area of region R.
b. A vertical line x=h, where h>o is chosen so that the area of the region bounded by f(x), the y-axis, the horizontal line y=4, and the line x=h is half the area of the region R. What is the value of h?
c. Find the volume of the solid formed when region R is rotated about the line y=4.
d. A horizontal line y=k, where k is greater than 4 is chosen so that the volume of the solid formed when region R is rotated about the line y=k is twice the volume of the solid found in part (c). Set up, but do not evaluate, an integral expression in terms of a single independent variable which represents the volume of this solid.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found part a and b..
a.) 1.296
b.) h=.361

I'm drawing a blank about c, when I draw the graph reflected about y=4, would it be illogical to simply multiply the area given in (a) by 2?
And I can't move on without being sure of c.. so that is where I am, haha.

Physics news on Phys.org
No it would not be logical. If you multiply an area by two it is still an area, not a volume. Do you know how to find the volume?

In this case, is it.. volume of a sphere? Or half a sphere?

skylit said:
In this case, is it.. volume of a sphere? Or half a sphere?

No. I'm assuming you have drawn the function and found the region (if not do so). Imagine rotating the region around y = 4. To me it looks more like half of a football.

It doesn't ring a bell at all..yes I drew the graph, and rotated about y=4. The first impression I got was a semicircle, but I realize what you're saying about an oval-like shape, which completely disproved my sphere theory haha

If this has anything to do with cross sections, then I am in desperate need of help (I could never grasp it)

skylit said:
If this has anything to do with cross sections, then I am in desperate need of help (I could never grasp it)

Yes it does. This website is good and will help you http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/5/volumes.5/index.html. It seems to me you are not picturing the rotation the right way.

1. What is the purpose of using integration in real-world applications?

Integration is a mathematical tool that helps us find the total value or area under a curve. It is commonly used in real-world applications to solve problems that involve calculating quantities such as distance, volume, work, and probability.

2. How is integration used in physics and engineering?

In physics, integration is used to solve problems related to motion, force, energy, and other physical phenomena. In engineering, it is used to calculate parameters like stress, strain, and heat transfer. It is also used in designing and analyzing systems, such as electrical circuits and structures.

3. Can integration be used to find the volume of irregular shapes?

Yes, integration can be used to find the volume of irregular shapes by breaking them down into infinitesimally thin slices and integrating their areas. This process is called the method of cylindrical shells or the method of slicing.

4. What are the different methods of integration?

There are several methods of integration, including the substitution method, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, partial fractions, and numerical integration. Each method is useful for solving different types of integrals, and it is important to know when to use which method.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in applying integration?

To improve your skills in applying integration, it is essential to practice solving different types of integrals regularly. You can find practice problems in textbooks, online resources, or even create your own. It is also helpful to understand the concepts and techniques behind each method of integration and practice applying them to real-world problems.