Applications of derivative Question> Tangents

In summary, the question is about finding the tangent to a hyperbola and the method involves finding the slope of the tangent at a given point on the hyperbola, which is equal to the slope of a line passing through that point and a fixed point on the hyperbola.
PrashntS
2qvru34.jpg

The motive was to find the tangent.. But I can't seem to find it.. when I plot the graph to this yperbola, I just CANT figure out how to proceed! HELP!

PS: This question was in exams today.. If the question is missing some info, please mention -.-

Physics news on Phys.org
PrashntS said:
2qvru34.jpg

The motive was to find the tangent.. But I can't seem to find it.. when I plot the graph to this yperbola, I just CANT figure out how to proceed! HELP!

PS: This question was in exams today.. If the question is missing some info, please mention -.-

If (x,y) is a point on the hyperbola that a tangent passes through then the slope of the hyperbola there should be the same as the slope of the line passing through (x,y) and (4/3,0).

See attachment. The tangent line passes through point P(4/3,0) and touches the curve at point Q(u,v). The slope of the line is equal to the derivative dy/dx at Q.

ehild

Attachments

• curvetang.JPG
    curvetang.JPG
    6 KB · Views: 417

1. What is the definition of a tangent in calculus?

A tangent is a straight line that touches a curve at only one point, without crossing through it. It represents the instantaneous rate of change or slope of the curve at that specific point.

2. How is the derivative used to find the equation of a tangent line?

The derivative is used to find the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on a curve. This slope is then combined with the coordinates of the point to form the equation of the tangent line using the point-slope form.

3. Can the concept of tangents be applied to other shapes besides curves?

Yes, the concept of tangents can be applied to other shapes such as circles, ellipses, and parabolas. In these cases, the tangent line will touch the shape at only one point and represent the slope of the curve at that point.

4. How is the concept of tangents used in real-life applications?

The concept of tangents is used in many real-life applications, including physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, tangents are used to calculate the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time, while in economics, tangents can be used to determine the marginal cost of producing one more unit of a product.

5. What is the relationship between tangents and derivatives?

The derivative is the mathematical representation of the slope of a curve at a specific point, while the tangent line represents this slope visually. In other words, the derivative is the general concept and formula, while the tangent is the visual representation of that concept in a specific scenario.