Applied math major classes to take

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's dislike for differential equations and their desire to pursue applied math. They ask for advice on how to make the class more enjoyable and for recommendations on other areas of applied math to study. Some suggestions include taking a course in PDEs and considering electives such as numerical/computational methods, complex analysis, and differential geometry. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding differential equations in applied math and the potential for finding enjoyment in applying them to real-world problems.
studentintrain2
I am in differential equations and I really wanted to go into applied math but this is the first math class I have taken that I detest. I really enjoyed calculus 1-3 and linear algebra especially which made me want to pursue applied math but differential equations is just not appealing to me at all.(which makes it hard to study causing me to do poorly the first time in a math class)

Has anyone else had a similar experience with the class or what are some ways I can enjoy it more? As of now its just memorize techniques and apply them to very specific situations and work out ugly problems.

What are some areas of applied math I should look into taking next? At this point I will be able to take mainly electives outside of only a few core classes. I would like to avoid classes similar to differential equations if possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, differential equations is a boring class. It's just a collection of techniques and recipes. Don't worry, you're not the only one who thinks this.
Don't give up on differential equations though, they can have a very fun and deep theory.

Likes studentintrain2
I agree that ODEs was not all that exciting but an applied mathematician should be well versed in differential equations. I recommend that you try taking a course in PDEs. You'll learn some critical and interesting techniques there (fourier series, eigenfunctions, transforms, distributions, to name some) which have wide applications. Also, PDEs are much more interesting than ODEs in my opinion, but, you need a good background in ODEs if you want to do well and really understand PDEs

As for other courses for electives in applied math, I'd consider:
Numerical/computational methods,
Complex Analysis if that's not already required,
Math methods in physics if you have such a course,
Differential Geometry

As a side note, even if you avoid any course with "differential equations" in the name, your applied math courses will assume familiarity with DEs and use results from there; so, I'd recommend becoming familiar with them regardless.

Last edited:
Likes studentintrain2 and jbrussell93
studentintrain2 said:
I am in differential equations and I really wanted to go into applied math but this is the first math class I have taken that I detest. I really enjoyed calculus 1-3 and linear algebra especially which made me want to pursue applied math but differential equations is just not appealing to me at all.(which makes it hard to study causing me to do poorly the first time in a math class)

Has anyone else had a similar experience with the class or what are some ways I can enjoy it more? As of now its just memorize techniques and apply them to very specific situations and work out ugly problems.

What are some areas of applied math I should look into taking next? At this point I will be able to take mainly electives outside of only a few core classes. I would like to avoid classes similar to differential equations if possible.

Just a question: have you actually applied the differential equations yet? That's the fun part. I find it incredibly satisfying to set up a model of a system using differential equations (whether it's simple and can be solved analytically or not).

Thanks for the feedback I will try to stick through it and try to put in the effort with the hope it will pay off in more interesting classes in the future. There are lots of things I don't enjoy doing but I know are beneficial so I will treat this class like that even if I don't see it now. I try reading the book and I get bored and end up self studying other subjects I find more interesting. Does anyone know of any other textbooks that might be more interesting I could try to supplement my reading with? The book is just for reference anyways but I think the book being so dry is partly my lack of interest also.

axmls said:
Just a question: have you actually applied the differential equations yet? That's the fun part. I find it incredibly satisfying to set up a model of a system using differential equations (whether it's simple and can be solved analytically or not).

No we are just learning the techniques. The class also has a lot of engineers and physics majors so I think the instructor feels they will pick up which applications will be important later on in there upper division classes. We didn't learn any applications in my linear algebra class either but I found the theory and proofs(of which there are none in this class) to be much more satisfying in that class despite not applying them.

studentintrain2 said:
No we are just learning the techniques. The class also has a lot of engineers and physics majors so I think the instructor feels they will pick up which applications will be important later on in there upper division classes. We didn't learn any applications in my linear algebra class either but I found the theory and proofs(of which there are none in this class) to be much more satisfying in that class despite not seeing how you could apply them.

Then you're missing out! Even problems that seemed simple in intro physics before you knew differential equations come to life in a brand new way. Springs? ##F = -kx##. But we also know ##F=ma=m\frac{d^2 x}{dt^2}##. So ##\frac{d^2 x}{dt^2} = -kx##. Look! Differential equation! Now throw in friction and a driving force, and you've got an even more interesting problem. And that's only a simple example. To me, the interesting part is not solving the differential equation, but what it is the differential equation is solving.

Likes Andreol263 and studentintrain2

1. What types of math classes are typically included in an applied math major?

Applied math majors typically include classes in calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, probability and statistics, and numerical analysis. These courses provide students with a solid foundation in both theoretical and practical mathematics.

2. Are there any programming courses required for an applied math major?

Many applied math programs do require students to take at least one programming course, such as Python or MATLAB. These courses help students develop skills in coding and data analysis, which are highly valuable in many industries.

3. Can I specialize in a specific area of applied math?

Yes, many applied math programs offer the opportunity for students to specialize in a particular area, such as computational math, financial math, or mathematical biology. These specializations allow students to focus on their interests and develop expertise in a specific field.

4. Are there any hands-on or experiential learning opportunities in applied math classes?

Yes, many applied math classes incorporate hands-on projects and real-world applications to give students practical experience in solving problems and using mathematical concepts in a practical setting. Some programs also offer internships or research opportunities for students to gain further experience.

5. What types of careers can I pursue with an applied math degree?

An applied math degree can lead to a variety of careers in fields such as data analysis, finance, engineering, computer science, and more. Many industries require individuals with strong mathematical skills to solve complex problems, making an applied math degree highly versatile and in-demand.