Applied Math undergrad to pure math grad school?

In summary, Georgia Tech is considered the top college in the state for mathematics, but it does not offer a pure mathematics degree. Despite this, it is still possible to attend grad school for pure mathematics as an applied math major. The name of the degree is not as important as the courses taken, and Georgia Tech offers a variety of pure mathematics courses. Essentially, students can complete a pure mathematics degree at Georgia Tech by also taking a few applied courses. This information has helped the conversation participants feel less anxious about their academic path.
dirtysocks45
The best instate college in my state for mathematics is Georgia Tech. However, it does not have a pure mathematics degree. Can I still go to grad school for pure mathematics as an applied math major? Will it prepare me for pure mathematics?

Physics news on Phys.org
The name of the degree doesn't really matter, just the courses, and Georgia Tech has plenty of courses in pure mathematics. You can essentially complete a pure math degree there, you just have to take a few extra applied courses on the side.

GaTech is the best college in GA for mathematics,and having an undergrad in applied won't stop you from going to grad school for pure.

Thanks guys! It relieved me of some anxiety.

Yes, you can still go to grad school for pure mathematics with an applied math undergraduate degree. While it may not be the traditional path, an applied math degree can provide you with a strong foundation in mathematical principles and problem-solving skills that are applicable to pure mathematics. Additionally, many graduate programs value diversity in backgrounds and may see your applied math degree as a unique asset. It is important to research the specific requirements and curriculum of the pure mathematics graduate program you are interested in to ensure that your undergraduate coursework aligns with their expectations. Ultimately, your passion and dedication to pursuing pure mathematics will be the most important factor in your success in grad school.

1. What is the difference between applied math and pure math?

Applied math is the use of mathematical concepts and methods to solve real-world problems and answer practical questions. On the other hand, pure math is the study of abstract mathematical concepts and their relationships with each other, without any immediate real-world applications.

2. Can I pursue a pure math graduate degree with an applied math undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a pure math graduate degree with an applied math undergraduate degree. Many universities offer bridging courses or preparatory programs to help students with an applied math background transition to pure math studies.

3. Will my career options be limited if I choose to major in applied math for my undergraduate studies?

No, choosing to major in applied math for your undergraduate studies does not limit your career options. Applied math graduates have a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as finance, data science, engineering, and more.

4. Do I need to have a strong background in pure math to excel in a pure math graduate program?

It is recommended to have a strong foundation in pure math before pursuing a pure math graduate program. However, many universities offer remedial courses or introductory classes to help students catch up on any lacking knowledge.

5. What skills are necessary for success in a pure math graduate program?

Strong analytical and critical thinking skills, a solid foundation in mathematical concepts and theories, and the ability to work independently are essential for success in a pure math graduate program. Good communication and problem-solving skills are also beneficial.