1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied Maxima and Minima

1. Dec 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For a monopolist's product, the demand equation is:

p = 42 - 4q

and the average-cost function is

c = 2 + (80/q)

Find the profit-maximizing price.

2. Relevant equations
    When i started to solve the problem, i deduced from what i needed to find that I needed to make up a function, plugging in the above functions into profit = (price-cost)quantity.
    To what extent I'm correct I'm not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried plugging it in like this: profit = ((42-4q-2-(80/q)) all that multiplied by q. I dont seem to know if i multiply that whole equation just by q, or by finding a formula for q from those other functions they already gave me. I tried it and it gave me q= 80/(c-2) but then, do i have to substitute c in that formula.

I really dont know where to go from here. would appreciate any help given please.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

At maximimum profit, demand= cost. I would have thought that was one of the frst thing you would have learned!
  4. Dec 10, 2007 #3
    go it solved! thanks for that little fact i did miss. that equals to 4q^2-40q+80, which its derivative is 8q-40, and its critical value is 5, with a maximum of 5. thanks. :D
  5. Dec 10, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since this is a monopoly problem, you should be looking to equate marginal cost (MC) to marginal revenue (MR).

Total cost is:

C = Average Cost times q = cq = 2q + 80

MC = C' = 2.

Total revenue is:
    R = pq = 42q - 4q^2.

MR = R' = 42 - 8q

MC = MR ===> 2 = 42 - 8q ===> 8q = 40 ===> q = 5, so your answer is correct.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?